CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

4.6L Auxiliary Oil Cooler

petrov

Hey everyone long time no talk! I am attempting to bring my 93 STS 4.6L out of hibernation (a little early though) and have recently replaced the alternator. Anyone who has tackled this on their own at home in the driveway I tip my hat to. This was a task and a half but successful none the less (cleared my P110 code & battery no charge message) and in the lovely Canadian climate as well.

OK with all this being accomplished, I expected to drive off excited but was confronted with oil streaming out from the front of the car! :o

Checked it out and noticed oil dripping out of the two cooler lines connected to the bottom of the black Auxiliary Oil Cooler. Removed the lines and noticed not only the existing corrosion but the driver's side line had a pin hole in it. I applied some epoxy to it to seal this hole which it has done. I will be replacing both lines without a doubt but it seems that I may also need to replace the fittings as well.

1) Is this a necessity to replace the quick connect fittings? I ask this because it appears that my leaking oil is not from the lines now but from inside the fitting down over the outside of the lines.

2)Does the fitting have an internal gasket or rubber fitting that provides a proper seal? I even tried adjusting the plastic clips on the top of the lines to ensure it snaps into place but it still leaks...not as much as before the epoxy.

Lastly, any tips on removing this fitting as it is quite cold outside now and the metal fitting is secured to the threaded sleave on the bottom of the cooler which looks plastic???

Thanks for your help or any suggestions & see you on the road soon, I hope!!! :D

You are apparently talking about auxiliary transmission cooler? I would bypass it for a while and make all the necessary replacements when weather allows.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

You are apparently talking about auxiliary transmission cooler? I would bypass it for a while and make all the necessary replacements when weather allows.

I looked through the archives and found an attached pic from Scotty Nov. 4, 2005 8:55am post # 14 in a reply of the auxiliary cooler & lines that I am referring to.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...2&hl=oil+cooler

Do I just plug the lines & cooler fittings then for now? Any suggestions on what to plug the lines with???

Thanks

Archived