CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ALARM PREFERENCE

Rob_M

If you were to add an alarm to your system, what would you prefer? A GM alarm or something like a Clifford or a Viper?

I have always used Audiovox brand alarms and DesignTech Remote starters. Personally I don't think alarms are needed/necsessary anymore with transponders in the keys, they just make money for the addon guy at the dealership.

I quit that line of work in the mid 90's because the technology in the cars (wiring/computers/multiplexing) far outpaced the alarm/starter world, now 1 wire (class 2 data bus) can do everything in the car (that used to take all day to do like window rollup/down)

Oh Yeah, I prefer Alarms in cars without Transponders (passkey X)

There are enough stories of remote starters and alarms causing electrical problems, or at least being suspected of causing an electrical problem that is impossible to find, to keep me from putting anything aftermarket like that on my car.

If GM sold an alarm kit, that'd be the only thing I'd do, but I agree with the statement above -- they're really redundant.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I would never put a remote starter on it. It messes up the engine I heard. I just wanted something a little better than factory. Basically, you could break my window, crawl in and spend as much time in there as you want if you knew what you're doing. I need a little bit more protection than that.

viper pager for me, if it beeps, someone is walking close... it it goes nuts someone is touching it! haha, its the 2 in one remote start/ alarm, been great so far, a bit pricy ($800.00 cdn) but worth it, its got 4 flashing bright blue leds, one in each corner of the front and rear glass. since having it installed, I caugth a kid after he threw a big blue garbage bin onto my hood. Previous to that, I had my rear doors keyed, someone attempted to break my side glass (all 4) but didnt suceed, ( I believe its 5mm re-enforced thats what I was told) it just left huge scratches in the glass. had a hole kicked in my front bumper and my exhaust tips jumped on and broken off twice.... saved lots of money on repairs after installing the alarm!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Archived