CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Double DIN CD/DVD/GPS ?

FSchuett

double din?...a din plug has both input and output leads in it. correct? would the addition of the extra din reduce the signal strength? obviously, i have questions rather than answers, there used to be a gm electronics guru on here many moons ago. jackg 90seville 99k

well if signal degradation is an issue then stay away from using din connectors, providing that you have a choice. sometimes you will see rca and din connectors with the same source at both sets of jacks. the advantge to dins is the ease of use: one cord and one jack...the downside is the loss of signal strength due to the smaller conductors bundled into one "cord". when i was "into" stereos many moons ago, i would never use a din for a high quality signal...the rca's were the main source of inputs/outputs. it's probably different now since there is so much done for cost cutting reasons so i doubt you will have both sets of jacks on the back panel of your equipment. don't get me wrong, the din "system" is tailor made for vehicle systems: the one plug is a life saver in tight spots. jackg 90seville 99k

well if signal degradation is an issue then stay away from using din connectors, providing that you have a choice. sometimes you will see rca and din connectors with the same source at both sets of jacks. the advantge to dins is the ease of use: one cord and one jack...the downside is the loss of signal strength due to the smaller conductors bundled into one "cord". when i was "into" stereos many moons ago, i would never use a din for a high quality signal...the rca's were the main source of inputs/outputs. it's probably different now since there is so much done for cost cutting reasons so i doubt you will have both sets of jacks on the back panel of your equipment. don't get me wrong, the din "system" is tailor made for vehicle systems: the one plug is a life saver in tight spots. jackg 90seville 99k

ummmmmmm, did you read the other posts about what DIN Frank is talking about? interesting tho...

BTW Frank, with the links on the website that Jason has posted, if you take off the little black spacer around the radio won't you be able to measure?

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

I think we are also assuming that you are considering an aftermarket unit... OEM DVD/GPS/ Touch Screens will physically fit, but the wiring is completely different.

Regardless of what you will read on Ebay the "big OEM touch screens" only "fit" and "Connect" to '02 or newer Devilles and Sevilles. I don't think they will fit any Eldo...

Good Luck

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

ummmmmmm, did you read the other posts about what DIN Frank is talking about? interesting tho...

BTW Frank, with the links on the website that Jason has posted, if you take off the little black spacer around the radio won't you be able to measure?

Chris

it's been a while...thanks for jogging my memory. the din configuration replaced the original "three hole" mounting: a knob on either side and the slot for the face of the unit. wow...does that bring back memories...the last system i put in was the three hole variety into my alfa...i wouldn't even consider messing with the electronics of a current day car...that's a recipe for disaster, imo. jackg 90seville 99k

i wouldn't even consider messing with the electronics of a current day car...that's a recipe for disaster, imo. jackg 90seville 99k

haha, i hear ya...

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

The audio electronics are a breeze to work on in pre 96' Cadillac. I've installed about 15 car audio systems in everything from Neons to BMWs. The unit in the dash is only a display and the radio reciever and amp are bolted to your power ant. It takes about as much effort to try and use the internal wiring as it would to run better cables to an amp in the trunk, however it could be done, I did it just to do it, but the delco amp back there metered about 4 watts RMS a driver of reasonably dirty power and wouldn't drive the Kappa drivers I installed so I gave up.

You can use a multimeter to Identify the three wires you need under the dash, +12V, switched +12V (from electronics unit in trunk, turns the unit off when car is deactivated, even preserves the radio feature that keeps the radio on untill you open the door) and ground. GM in notorious for changing wire color from year to year. That's about it, everything else can be wired directly, and there is pleanty of room all over the car for new wire runs.

The hardest part is getting a thick power cable through the firewall (you can sneek it through) for an amp (you wouldn't need to do this for a small amp as there are pleanty of power sources in the trunk area), and mounting whatever device you choose to install in the dash. It's a good old GM 420 dash opening and there are tons of kits for it, just be ready to dremel the crap out of it.

These are great cars to put an aftermarket audio/visual system in, not a great first install, but easy enough to do your own work on. German cars are a nightmare. I had a glide touch Alpine deck with a matching 4 ch Alpine V12 amp and the amplink so I could controll things like amp gain and crossover points from the dash, and Infility Kappas in the factory locations. Sounded great. Not as nice as my B&Ws at home, but hey, it cost less, preserved my car's well being, and was a hell of a lot better than the non Bose factory audio. Had the car not been totalled I'd be listening to it right now.

I still have all the electronics (minus the speakers) pre-wired and ready to drop in the dash of your car if you're interested at all, but I know the DVD/Navigation deal is likely the only reason you're considering this in the first place.

So yeah, it could easily be done .

--Ben

Frank,

I'm fascinated by the fact that you own an "unsupported" vehicle in a land so far away from "Stateside" support and help.

Can you take a moment to tell us why you do this?

I'd also be interested in hearing from you what reactions you get from your friends and neighbors. Do they think you are crazy? :D Do they like your vehicle?

Regards,

Warren

P.S: I've recently read that Trabants (spelling?) are now becoming collector items here in the 'States.' Can you imagine that?

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Warren,

since there's no answer I'll try to give you my point...cause it's a nice car!

It's comfortable, powerful, smooth, good looking, well equipped, good on gas, that's everything I need!

Plus you've got a car that you don't see parked everywhere.

At gas stations I usually get comments like "oh that's a gas guzzler" and the like. When I show them my figures on the trip computer (about 25 mpg which are cleared at each fill up) they usually shut up.

Many friends and colleagues who never even THOUGHT about owning a Cadillac, are impressed when they ride in it and when I show them that I really have a troublefree car!

I know quite a bit of people who own so called premium makes (from whatever country) and have to hazzle with a lot of niggling problems, which you wouldn't expect from a 50,000 or more $ car.

Of course there are always things which could have been done better, like overall fit and finish, or roadholding on 120 mph+ autobahn curves, but that's not the way this car has been designed and I can live with it.

Off-the-line-performance is fantastic with the SLS (can you spell torque :-) ) and leaves quite a few drivers mostly surprised. 100 mph+ acceleration figures of many Euro competitors are better, but then I let them pass...you can't win'em all. I usually don't drive that fast anyway.

And, NO Trabant for me, never! Yuck!!

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Stefan (who loves his Cadillac)

Thanks,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived