CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

NS Water Pump

robert383

Shredded a water pump belt today. The remains of the belt looked very worn and brittle. Is it safe to assume if the pump is free just a bad belt? I have read these pumps do seize and would think if free just a matter of a belt replacment.

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks Ranger!

Did a quick search here but sure on one of the forums I read a thread stating "not if, but when" the NS pump would fail. Don't believe everything I read but would like to sleep tonight with the thought, it just needs a belt. Didn't have the guts to see if the 50 miles with no coolant/circulation claim was true. Got a hook and ready for a new belt tomorrow.

Thanks Ranger!

Didn't have the guts to see if the 50 miles with no coolant/circulation claim was true. Got a hook and ready for a new belt tomorrow.

Very smart move. I would not drive my car without coolant unless I was being shot at.

Again, pump failures usually start with a leak due to a failed seal. I am sure others will chime in and agree that seizures are almost unheard of. Something destroyed that belt. My guess is a pully bearing. Check them closely. Also make sure the tensioner is not rusted at the fulcrum. That is, be sure it swigs freely and provides enough belt tension.

Yeah, I've never actually heard of a water pump cartridge seizing up. I suppose it's certainly possible, but not common at all...I haven't seen one.

Usually, a "water pump failure" is actually just an o-ring or seal failure. That's the warning sign that any water pump makes when it's time for replacement. I replaced mine at 108k miles. I'm not disappointed with that service life.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks Jason and All,

It appears my problem was just a belt that had exceeded it's service life. I follow this forum (and other Cadillac forums) with interest. Because of some problems with my previous Caddy and then a couple of issues with my latest purchase perhaps the worst case scenerio comes to mind at times. A good percentage of the posts here are problem related and granted some scary, money wise. Looking back I probably read one post about a seized water pump and it stuck in my mind when actually water pump replacement is a fact of life, sooner or later. Learned something today (about water pumps and while on the topic have a quiz. Took a look at the water pump socket while at the auto parts store. I would assume this relacement is done from under the car but hard to picture the socket just slipping on when I had clearance problems getting the belt on the pulley from the top. Just an idle question and no biggie. Trying to learn.

Nope, the replacement is done from on top (over the fender). Once you remove the intake ducting, there is plenty of room to get at the cover and then the pump.

Interesting. The pump threads out from the back? Suppose it is time to invest in a manual as this Caddy has to last me. Watching your turbo project with interest. My posts may not reflect it but have a car backround and not always conventional. Super charged L-98/LT-1's. Anyway, thanks!!!! The effort you and others put into this forum is appreciated.

Bob

Water Pump Siezure

1994 Northstar

I guess I am the only person on this site that has had a water pump siezure. I do not know the history of the pump. It could have been new or rebuild. It was on the car when I bought it.

I lost the pump, the drive pulley disolved by friction of the drive belt, the tensioner again desolved by the friction of the drive belt and the belt itself.

Whoever installed the pump used a harding sealent. I had to get an impact wrench to turn the pump and remove it.

Vince P

Interesting. The pump threads out from the back?

Bob

Yes the pump is on the back of the Northstar but no, It does not "thread" out. It is cam locked and only turns 1/8 - 1/4 turn to unlock and lock.

Archived