CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2001 DTS Front Bearing & Hub

terrylange

I have been told by two dealerships that my right front bearing and hub assembly has play in it and needs to be replaced. I have checked the various discount websites for AC Delco parts, and have a couple of questions. All of the sites list both a complete bearing and hub assembly, as well as a bearing and hub assembly repair kit. They also all list a "1st design, with stainless steel sensor wire spring clip" and a "2nd design with plastic sensor wire with clip." Does anyone know how I identify whether my car is a first design or second design, and should I be ordering the repair kit or complete hub and bearing assembly? I don't plan on doing the repair myself, so I anticipate some reluctance on the part of the Caddy dealer when I show up with the parts in my trunk, so I would like to have the correct parts on hand. I have entered my VIN in the AC Delco website and they still list both 1st design and 2nd design, so that hasn't been of any help. Thanks!

I have been told by two dealerships that my right front bearing and hub assembly has play in it and needs to be replaced. I have checked the various discount websites for AC Delco parts, and have a couple of questions. All of the sites list both a complete bearing and hub assembly, as well as a bearing and hub assembly repair kit. They also all list a "1st design, with stainless steel sensor wire spring clip" and a "2nd design with plastic sensor wire with clip." Does anyone know how I identify whether my car is a first design or second design, and should I be ordering the repair kit or complete hub and bearing assembly? I don't plan on doing the repair myself, so I anticipate some reluctance on the part of the Caddy dealer when I show up with the parts in my trunk, so I would like to have the correct parts on hand. I have entered my VIN in the AC Delco website and they still list both 1st design and 2nd design, so that hasn't been of any help. Thanks!

I dont know about 2 different hubs. GM hubs are not rebuilt with new bearings. The reason there may be 2 different ones is there is a standard one, then a heavy duty one for Deville limos and armour cars. Maybe the heavy duty ones are rebuildable.

10 years ago there WAS a 1st and 2nd design hub bearing. Eary design the ABS sensor could be repaired, 2nd design was replaced as a complete unit.

Archived