CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

NEW Caddy, what should I do?

jinxed45

Heallo..

My Cadillac is somewhat new, to me atleast. I bought it at 100k, it's a 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC. Got it for about $5025.00 plus whatever taxes, etc. Everything's been fine so far except a few minor things, but the Service Engine Light has been on for the last 4,000 miles I've driven, appoximately 3 months ago.

I guess my question is, what should I do to make sure nothing goes wrong, what should I check, should I get a tune up (dealer said it's $700 atleast)? Or...? And what's the service light for?

Also, I don't know if this is normal or not, but when I WOT or floor it, the transmission doesn't shift to the next gear until it hits the REDLINE.. and goes over just a little. I know that can't be GOOD for the engine.

Any help is appreciated@!

This is a very broad subject and there are a lot of things you can do; but the first thing I WOULDN"T do is drive it 3 months and 4,000 miles with the "Service Engine SOON" light on.

That light could be the result of EGR valve problems, oxygen sensor problems, catalytic converter problems or something as simple as a gas tank cap that doesn't seat tightly.

At 100 k miles your car could use new plugs (Caddy recommends you change at 100 k miles) but the factors mentioned above are more likely the cause of your problem.

There's a lot of info archived on the "old board" about cleaning the EGR.

Also, I don't know if this is normal or not, but when I WOT or floor it, the transmission doesn't shift to the next gear until it hits the REDLINE.. and goes over just a little. I know that can't be GOOD for the engine.

Redline shifts at WOT is normal for this car. That's what it is supposed to do. It shouldn't hurt anything.

On the other hand, the "Service Engine Soon" light is NOT normal. Driving the car under that condition can, in some cases, cause harm, though often it is not a big deal. In any case, you will want to find out what is causing that.

First thing to do is check for codes. Do you know how to do that?

Let us know what codes come up and we can help you from there. If you have a "Service Engine Soon" you WILL have some codes.

As far as a tuneup goes, I wouldn't waste my money on that unless you have driveability issues.

Read the codes (see the how-to section of caddyinfo.com) and the code lists there and post here if you have questions.

Change all the fluids -- oil, transmission, coolant.

Check the accessory and water pump belts.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

OK.. I did the test thing, here's what it read:

PCM P0146 Current

PCM P0603 History

PCM P1441 History

PCM P1579 History

PCM P1604 History

IPC U1255 History

No ACM Codes

No SDM Codes

No TCS Codes

RSS C1712 History

RSS C1738 Current

RSS C1760 History

RSS C1783 Current

RSS C1785 Current

No PZM Codes

No IRC Data

No RFA Codes

No CCP Codes

No MSM Codes

No MMM Codes

No PHN Codes

then said: PCM?

Just stayed there, so I turned the car off. What do these mean? Doesn't look too good to me.

Re-enter the diagnostic mode. Engine off.

After the error code readout stops and you see "PCM", press the Fan rocker switch to the HIGH side (this means YES). \

At each prompt after that press the Fan switch to the LOW side (this means NO), until you see the note "CLEAR CODES?", then press Fan HIGH to erase the error codes.

NEXT:

Press the OFF button and you will be seeing a different prompt, follow the above direactions until you have gone through all of the modes.

Press AUTO to exit the error code checking mode.

If you make a mistake just start over.

When finished turn off the key.

No w start the car and be ready to note any error codes that may show up.

Change the coolant if you haven't already done so, this is a moajor cause of severely damaged Northstar engines. Use the proper coolant for your year.

Look up change coolant in the archives, pay particular attention to entries by "bbobynski", our resident expert.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived