CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bang!!!..... went the rad.

bigjayzway

In either case, really, it is perfectly fine to eliminate the engine oil cooler. It is not really required with the oils available today on a production Northstar unless the engine is being worked especially hard...like as in towing. Towing runs the engine oil temp up pretty good if hill climbing and/or hot weather is involved. An engine oil cooler is adviseable with the Northstar then. Otherwise, there is no need for it.

Let me clear it up for you, this statement was NOT made by me, it was made by someone very knowledgeable about the Northstar. And yes it completely is opposite as to what I was saying that TOWING does not affect engine oil and proves me wrong. However, TYPICALLY, towing effects tranny fluid and tranny fluid needs cooling. I do NOT think it is common knowledge that TOWING puts stress on ENGINE oil requiring the use of a cooler. Not one individual disagreed with me when I said towing does not affect the ENGINE OIL only tranny oil.

I was honest and big enough to post comments of someone who knows, that is part of this process. If you can not see how this occurred, I am sorry for that.

I stand by my opinion that I would rather have the oil cooler and if I could not afford a new radiator, I would have done the side tank. But I sit in bumper to bumper traffic all summer and think that its better to have it than not.

This is over.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so first you post:

Jay posts, yes I did remove the OIL cooler lines, I removed the lines all together, and pluged the holes with M20 drain plugs.... and FOLLOWS it up with, I don't pull a trailer, so it really isn't an issue (which BLEW ME AWAY! because that statement is wrong and TOWING has NOTHING to do with the ENGINE oil needing cooling). With that statement I realize Jay does NOT understand what is going on, and THEN he follows it up with, If anyone needs to replace their rad, and is worried about the oil cooler lines, don't worry! That was the statement that bothered me a lot because of the TOWING justification.

then you post:

In either case, really, it is perfectly fine to eliminate the engine oil cooler. It is not really required with the oils available today on a production Northstar unless the engine is being worked especially hard...like as in towing. Towing runs the engine oil temp up pretty good if hill climbing and/or hot weather is involved. An engine oil cooler is adviseable with the Northstar then. Otherwise, there is no need for it.

I guess you will have to add me to the list of people who dont understand what is going on, along with jay of course.

Matt blink.gif

LMAO.... laugh.gif

Scotty, I never called you an IDIOT!

I was impying that I don't sit near a computer all day, nor do I have a laptop in my car for when I break down on the side of the road.

Not like I can say, "Hey, I broke down! Let me get out my laptop and find out what I should do?"

I can see it now. " Where do I want to take it mister tow truck? Well I don't know? Wait here with me till I get a response from caddyinfo, so I know what to do!"

Why do you automatically put words into other peoples mouths?

If I think you're an idiot, I would say "Scotty, you're an idiot!"

Do I? Did I?

NO!

So don't go and say I do!

Man this is getting really childish on here!

Matt... Thanks for understanding what I was getting at.

Everyone else that PM'd me, I also thank for understanding too!

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

• 2 weeks later...

Wind blew me over while replacing radiator hose, screwdriver went through radiator!! What a life!! LOL Got new radiator with trans and oil cooler ports for my STS for 113.00 +15.00 shipping from Performance radiators. Perfect fit, brand new, well packaged. Blocking oil cooler lines?? These engines run really hot, all the cooling you can get you need for longevity.

Wind blew me over while replacing radiator hose, screwdriver went through radiator!! What a life!! LOL Got new radiator with trans and oil cooler ports for my STS for 113.00 +15.00 shipping from Performance radiators. Perfect fit, brand new, well packaged. Blocking oil cooler lines?? These engines run really hot, all the cooling you can get you need for longevity.

Uh ya, ok!

I think you might have the wrong info here.

ALL OF YOU DOUBTERS....CHECK WITH THE DEALER!

IT WAS AN OPTION!!!!!!!!

That means some came without it!

Life is too short to grow up!

Archived