CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'96 SLS Fr. Strut replacement - consensus?

The_Raven

Howyadoin,

I've seen a bunch of different options for replacing the RSS front struts, but each seems to have good and bad points... I'm noticing a bit too much rebounding in my car, and am going to start looking for a replacement. Here's the criteria:

1. It's an '96 SLS with RSS rather then CV-RSS, if I'm not mistaken - don't need a super-firm ride, not expecting STS-style cornering.

2. Can't deal with SRC messages, have to be able to fake out resistors.

3. Cost is a factor, don't want to spend big dinero on a 9-year-old car with 160K.

So what's out there... Boston Suspension, Arnott, the stealership for the OEM electronic struts, rockauto.com or gmpartsdirect for the Delco passive products...

Anybody have recommendations? I've seen better reviews of the Arnott stuff than the Boston, but is that a valid observation?

Thanks,

-Rav

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

Anybody have recommendations? I've seen better reviews of the Arnott stuff than the Boston, but is that a valid observation?

Rav, I'm also keeping the suspension of my car in mind...have been for a while...but no money yet to do anything about it. All struts are original on mine, but the ride is very nice still.

I've noticed that a lot of people are liking Boston's stuff lately. Perhaps we just haven't had any members purchase any Arnott kits recently. It seems that there have been a few members, active and not-so-active, who have recently bought Boston parts and had good success with them. If I got handed an extra $1000 today, I believe I'd go to Boston Suspension with it.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I purchased Boston and had NO problem installing the rear. I have not done my fronts yet. I have a 96 also. I hope to install the resistors tomorrow, its been raining non stop over here. Will advise.

Archived