CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1997 STS: Noisy Alternator

The alternator on my '97 STS is making a "humming", "wining" noise. It's not the pulleys (both new). It sounds like the bearings are going bad in the alternator. Can these be replaced? Or is it easyer to buy a new alternator?

Is it hard to remove the alternator from the car?

Ken

It's always "easier" to buy a new one than to take it apart and fix it but likewise more expensive. I have never replaced the bearings. I think they are pressed in. I'm sure they are replacable..... by someone. Mine is still hanging in there so I have not had the "pleasure" but it is removed from the bottom. If you replace it, use a Delco alternator. Someone had replaced theirs with an after market (Napa, Autozone or something) and the PCM would not "see it" so it kept giving a NO CHARGE DTC. Seems there is some circuitry that the after markets don't have.

I JUST REPLACED MY ALTERNATOR FRIDAY , WITH A REBUILT AC/DELCO , ALTERNATOR. THIS ONE IS REBUILT FOR AC/DELCO TO ALL ORIGINAL SPECS. EVEN COMES IN THE AC/DELCO BOX. PRICE WAS 135.00. THE ALTERNATOR SHOP I USUALLY USE WANTED 125.OO TO REBUILD MY OLD ONE. FOR THE 10.00 DIFFERENCE I WENT WITH THE AC REBUILD. 96SLS

I'm just curious about alternators mainly because mine seems to whine a bit to. I have a 98 STS with the heated seats in the rear which I believe imply that the car has the water cooled alternator. Does anyone know how much a replacement for that one would be just for future reference? :) Thanks.

Archived