CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

88 Deville intake manifold gasket snafu

bdiamond

Experts,

A year ago I installed reman heads. Everything was fine for about 2 month. Then it started using oil like crazy. 1 qt every 200 miles. I though it was due to cheap oil seals. I took of the valve covers and found several oil seals broke loose and were silding up and doen the valve stems. Put new Vinton seals in. Oil problem did not go away. It also ran like crap.

Finally I bit the bullit and took it apart. And low and behold the intake gasket on both banks were out of position. Cylinders 1,3 2, and 4 were all sucking oil through the gaps. Take a look at the photos.

http://www.glocktech.net/automotive/caddy/

Anyone know what could have caused this. They were Felpro gaskets. I'm sure that I installed them correctly with the guide pin in the appropiate holes in the heads.

Any ideas?

Bill

My guess is the problem could have been a result of incorrect intake manifold bolt torque. BTW, was any adhesive applied to the gasket or surfaces? I think you'd be better off in the long-term with the OEM replacement gaskets.

No, I haven't seen that before. From what I've read, this family of engines is quite unique in construction; it is necessary to use the correct parts and follow the recommended procedures. I understand that it is possible to distort the engine block via incorrect torquing of the intake manifold bolts.

Thanks for the reply. Cheeeez. If anything, I UNDER torqued the intake bolts. The new re-ring kit from Hi-Tech has thicker intake manifold gaskets then the ones that were in the Fel-Pro kit. This time I will be very careful when I reassemble the engine.

Do you recommend using sealant on the intake gasket?

• 3 weeks later...

Install the steel side toward the manifold and the fiber side toward the engine block. This allows the exhaust manifold to slide along the steel surface during expansion and contraction without damaging the gasket.

See this link from Federal Mongul/FELPRO:

http://www.federalmogul.com/cda/content/fr...36_7510,00.html

I discussed this issue previously on this thread

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...hl=felpro&st=15

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the rebuild is complete. The 4.5L runs perfect. Very smooth. I'm fairly sure the problem was me not torquing the intake manifold in the right sequence originally.

But I am happy with the new rings, berings, rebuilt heads, etc. It was worth the $325 for the parts.

Many thanks for all the input from you experts.

One last question/issue. The 88 Deville shifts to overdrive (4th) at 45 mph. I would like to change to to 40 mph. Can this be done and how.

Bill

1988 Sedan Deville, 4.5l

My first Caddy, a really nice ride.

One last question/issue. The 88 Deville shifts to overdrive (4th) at 45 mph. I would like to change to to 40 mph. Can this be done and how.

I was out of town when the tranny in my Mark VI went belly up and I wound up having it rebuilt. Those folks were great to me and went out of their way to insure my getting back home for an important appointment.

HOWEVER, there was one small problem with the rebuild: it shifted overdrive at 39mph instead of the rated 44mph. I DID NOT like it at all in light throttle local driving. The engine just chugged too hard at 40mph when I asked it for light acceleration.

I'd think twice before you make such a change, assuming it's possible.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived