CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Northstar supercharger tranny stress fatigue

danbuc

I was just thinking about the supercharger and how much added power (and stress) that the engine will send through the tranny. Due to the increased power, this could lead to premature tranmission failure plus the torque steer might then be powerful enough to send a novice driver off the road into a tree or something bad like that. A higher performance differential could take care of the torque steer but I have yet to find someone who sell one individually. On the other hand, if you were willing to spend the money to make sure not to have stress fatigue related problems you could purchase a heavy duty tranny. DomesticPerformance.com sell two version and I believe one had a better differnetial. These are quite pricy over $2500 I think. If you could find a limo transmission for a good price, that would probably due just fine considering the limos have the heavy duty versions of the 4T80-E which I believe is whats in most newer caddy's that are FWD. This would bring the price down and ensure that the added power doesn't ruin anything. The only reason I suggest this is that I don't think the standard tranny can handle the 400hp that the supercharger might produce. Therefor installing one (when it comes out) in a car without a heavy duty transmission could be risking more than just the transmission itself. Just so you know, I'm not trying to shoot anyones dreams of a supercharger down because I know I want one myself. Its just meant as a precautionary measured to keep and unwanted damage from occuring from a future supercharger. ;)

The first report the engineering company working on the supercharger hardware did was an analysis on the effect of the supercharger on the powertrain. Their conclusion was that it will all play together well.

Hopefully the PCM team will get that part unravelled, and then we can get some road testing done and see.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived