CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Overdrive

kingblp

I have a 00 Seville SLS. I can watch the tach decrease around 45 MPH meaning that it shiftf into what I think is 3rd gear. It doesn't lower after that. Is it supposed to shift into a higher gear sometime after 45 MPH?

My 1997 SLS (same gear ratio as yours) will shift into 4th gear at around 42 mph. Engine RPM, if the engine/transmission is warmed up and the torque converter is mechanically locked, is about 1200 rpm.

Depending on how much gas you're giving it, it should be into 3rd gear quicker than 45 mph. What is the RPM when it shifts at 45 mph? What does the tach say? If it's between 1000-1400 rpm, that's overdrive (4th gear).

Try this...put the gear selector in 3 and drive it. Go up to 50 mph. Notice what the tach says. Probably between 1700-2000 rpm roughly (I don't recall at the moment). Then slip it up into D and watch the tach, and feel for a shift. It should upshift into 4th (overdrive) and the tach should settle below 1500 rpm at that speed, for an SLS.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks Jadcock.

The car shifts so smoothly, I can't tell if I'm in 2nd or 3rd. At around 45 or so, the tach does go up to about 1500 - 2000 and then, when it shifts, it comes back to about 1000. I guess I am looking for a shift into an overdrive at around 55 or so. My highway milage is around 26 - 27 MPG so I am probably in the proper gear.

The car shifts so smoothly, I can't tell if I'm in 2nd or 3rd. At around 45 or so, the tach does go up to about 1500 - 2000 and then, when it shifts, it comes back to about 1000. I guess I am looking for a shift into an overdrive at around 55 or so. My highway milage is around 26 - 27 MPG so I am probably in the proper gear.

Yet another satisfied Cadillac owner, and just realized how beautiful they are!!lol :P:P:P;)

Life is too short to grow up!

Thanks Jadcock.

I checked it out on the way to church this morning. Holding in 3rd gear, 50 mph arrives at about 1800-1900 rpm. Then the shift into 4th (and torque converter lockup) brings it down to about 1250 or 1300 rpm. On mine, as long as the engine is warmed up, the torque converter is engaged as soon as it shifts into 4th. If I need more power in 4th, I can blip the throttle and unlock the converter and it'll spike to 1750-2000 rpm (still in 4th), but then fall back to around 1300 when it locks up again. This would be for a steady 50 mph drive.

41 mph is the earliest mine will shift into 4th gear. It's very repeatable. If the needle is ON 40, it'll stay in 3rd. It won't shift until the needle JUST crests the 40 mph mark.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived