CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

EGR Valve in 97 STS

tmpafford

I am looking for the EGR valve on my 97 STS. I don't have a manual, and I don't know where to begin looking. I hear every now and then about cleaning it, but I have never done that. What all is invloved in cleaning/replacing the EGR valve? I am going to do a quick tune up this weekend (New PCV, new air filter, oil and filter change) and I would like to look at the EGR valve also.

Anyone got a picture or diagram?

Here is a picture of its location in my 96, the fuel pressure regulator is in the upper left hand corner of the picture, for reference, I am not sure if your engine is the same. In this photo the EGR is OUT. In my year there is a wing on the fuel rail that must come off (lift fuel rail) to get the EGR off, Mike

EGR_Photos_002.jpg

post-3-1122060790_thumb.jpg

Tmpafford, yours is exactly the same as the picture Mike posted. Be advised, if you've had the fuel rail recall done, you'll have to remove the fuel rail to get it out. You'll see what I mean when you attempt it.

tmpafford,

Unless it's acting up I'm not sure you'll want to remove the egr canister. Takes awhile for them to start plugging up... unless you're driving like an old dog lol. Now if you are going to venture into taking the egr canister off here's a little tip that may help. If the engine is cold, start it up and let it idle for 1 minute and shut her off. The canister should now be just slightly warm to the touch. This will allow for easy removal and less likely to tear the gasket. That way you won't have to worry about having a spare gasket on hand.... but always a good idea.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived