CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bad News/Good News

Dasher

The bad news: The dreaded "Service Suspension System" appeared on the DIC today.

The good news: It's still under the factory extended warranty!

That was the best money I ever spent.

With my 93 STS, I didn't get the message until 75k miles. I have 68 on this one.

I remember getting it on my 2001. It wasn't long afterwards that a few "key" bolts came un bolted and I daened near wrecked the thing. I mean it was like it would not turn left. Kinda "harry" when you're in traffic and doing 35-40 MPH with the Domino's Pizza car on your rear bumper.

Jim

It didn't affect my 93 that way. It usually meant new struts, motion sensors or accelerometers - all of which are expensive.

Hi Dasher

I always purchase the extended warranty.So they have all payed for them selfs in a short time. First time I purchase them was in the mid 80's after asking some friends who were mechanics Do you purchase these warrantys they all said yes Then mentioned do you know the cost of parts these days,that was enough for me.

Hard to imagine I have friends who still say they are a waste of money(warranties) to me it's penny smart and pound foolish not to buy one just incase..cars are machines you never know whats going to break down..I have managed to come out ahead on some cars 1k for the initial cost saved me a few thousnad over the life of the car. So far on this car an 01 deville I came out ahead

I had a lot of stuff replaced mostly cosmetic some not Here's a short list

2 door glass's replaced,steering wheel,grill,rear lic.plate housing,cig.lighter,valve stem,both front seat heater replaced,crank sensor,fog light,side marker light,suspension sensor,rear rotors turned,wood trim on door panel, and I'm sure there is a few other items I don't recall and still climbing So far it has been monies well spent.

Good Luck

jim

I never buy extended warranties on anything else; but after owning my 93 STS, I knew it would pay for itself.

Yesterday the dealer replaced a rear level sensor and, since I was having problems with the Service Engine Soon light, they replaced the EGR and the Oxygen sensor.

They never show the cost of repairs on warranted items but I'll bet these three things were close to a grand all by themselves.

I think they ought to show the prices on the bill. People would be more likely to buy the ext warrant thereafter.

When I got my car the dealer tried to talk me out of the extended warranty as to lower the price of the car. Sure glad I didn't listen to him - it has paid for itself more than once so far! Best thing is, I bought the car used when it was 2.5 years old 2 years ago, got the warranty and I still have another year+ left!

Great investment in my opinion.

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

I have a 98 STS and got the same message about a month after I got it. It turned out that the connectors that link the suspension arms to the ride control sensor had bcome detatched. This caused the sensors to get stuck al the way up. Because of this the computer thought there was a suspension problem. I reattatched the connectors and the message went away as soon as I turned the car back on. Plus the ride and handling got much better. Hope this helps. :D

I have a 98 STS and got the same message about a month after I got it. It turned out that the connectors that link the suspension arms to the ride control sensor had bcome detatched.

That happened on our '97 as well. It was when my mom still owned the car, and I was changing the oil in it for her. Noticed a link that looked like it should have been connected, but wasn't. I didn't know anything about the car at that time (except to say that I loved it), but figured it'd be smart enough to notice if anything was wrong. Sure enough, later that night, the Service Suspension System message came on! Ma brought the car to the dealer the next day and they reconnected it, free of charge.

Regarding the warranties, I will always purchase any type of warranty that is offered to me (within reason). If you think about it, the company is going to make money overall, or they couldn't afford to offer the warranty, and on average, I'll probably lose money with the extended warranties. But that "bad luck" just seems to always happen, no matter how careful I am! :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived