CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Ignition switch...Just rotates???

JOEC74

My kid came home the other night and told me the car, '88 Eldorado, won't turn off....Long story short. Had to disconnect the battery. I got a new ignition switch and tried it before I put the whole thing together.....The same thing happens, The switch just rotates. It will not spring back to position. If I push and pull the SPRING, RACK PRELOAD, which is connected to the SWITCH ACTUATOR, some of the dash light go on and off. But the car still won't start. It seems like something deeper is broken. Is there anyway to hot wire the car til I have the time to fix it next weekend. Thanks.....Joe

My kid came home the other night and told me the car, '88 Eldorado, won't turn off....Long story short. Had to disconnect the battery. I got a new ignition switch and tried it before I put the whole thing together.....The same thing happens, The switch just rotates. It will not spring back to position. If I push and pull the SPRING, RACK PRELOAD, which is connected to the SWITCH ACTUATOR, some of the dash light go on and off. But the car still won't start. It seems like something deeper is broken. Is there anyway to hot wire the car til I have the time to fix it next weekend. Thanks.....Joe

Joe,

I sent you an email with picture which shows what exactly should be replaced. Looks like you call "ignition switch" what actually is ignition lock (where the key is going in). The ignition switch is a box-shaped device on the bottom of the steering column. It has several positions. One of them is ignition ON (dash lights come on) the next is START which requires more torque. Since your actuator is broken it does not transfer the torque to the switch. You can make an "actuator" from a steel 3 mm diameter wire engaging the ignition switch and coming all the way to the dash. Then you just put the key in the lock, turn it to release steering wheel lock and prevent the antitheft from going off and push the wire to start the car. When you want to shut the engine just pull the wire back and remove the key. ;)

That's the way I have been driving my car for some thre years with no problem at all. :)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Thanks, I'm going to give it a try on friday...But I can see one end of the actuator. It looks like it should just snap out. Is there something that it connects to at the other end...like a spring... And the picture that you sent. Was it the steering column exploded........Joe

Joe,

Yes it was steering column exploded for Seville 1991. The 3 mm wire I put replaces actually two parts - the actuator (44) and another piece (83) which directly engages the ignition switch (81). You'll get a better idea when you disassemble the column. You'll need torx to remove the air bag. I was lucky it happened to me in SEARS parking lot, so I got all I needed from the store! :D

You'll need special tools - wheel puller and ... I forgot. Besides there is a retaining ring with two small holes which is PITA to remove and reinstall without special pliers with needle-shape ends.

The job is not an easy one. It will take a couple of hours working mostly on your knees...

I should have some broken and new parts somewhere. I'll take pictures tomorrow to show you what exactly happened to your actuator.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived