CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OBDll

Scotty

I find that this is a topic that we have NOT gone into. Does anyone know what information we can and can not display on the DIC? Is there a source that I can access that tells me how to drill down into the OBDll through our DIC's, if it IS indeed possible...?

I would like to see things like ACM data, TPS data, O2 sensor data. etc.

This was easy on my 91. What can we do with this OBDll system?

If we can do NOTHING, what is the CHEAPEST method?

I was looking on EBAY and there are a couple of TECH 1's but neither had our cartridge with it. Can someone explain the TECH 1, do I need a specific cartridge for an OBDll car like my 96?

Thanks, Mike

I have been using this laptop interface box and the free Windows software for many years. The interface and s/w does a decent job on powertrain data.

Download the s/w and run it in "Simulate" mode to get a feel for what can be displayed.

http://obddiagnostics.com/index.html

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

(1)....What can we do with this OBDll system?

(2)If we can do NOTHING, what is the CHEAPEST method?....

(1)Retrieve DTCs is about it.

(2)See URL in previous post.

This is what I should have said earlier.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The GM Tech 1 was the early GM scan tool. There are 2 versions. The Tech 1 and then the Tech 1a.

Vetronix made the Tech 1 and 1a. Vetronix handles all the diagnostic software for GM vehicles.

When OBDII came along....the Tech 1 and 1a did not have enough guts for the added coverage and codes etc.

Hence the GM Tech 2.

The original GM Tech 2 was made by Hewlett Packard and used Vetronix software.

GM support for the Tech 1/a ended after 1996.

The Tech 2 has had one major upgrade to a 32 mb memory card versus the original 10 mb card.

Vetronix attempted to upgrade the Tech 1 and 1a with newer cartridges. They thru in the towel about 2002 and discontinued the Tech 1/a.

Vetronix purchased the manufactuing of the Tech 2 from Hewlett Packard. So all current Tech 2s are made by Vetronix. (ours happens to be a HP version)

Bosch recently bought out Vetronix.

So to sum it up......a Tech 1a is ok for cars up to 1996. Try to find one that has the GM dealer MSC cartridge. The MSC cartridge provided access to all the systems....abs...airbag...powertrain etc. Aftermarket was forced to buy a cartridge for each system. Coverage after '96 is nil even with the Vetronix cartridges. Watch out...the Tech 1 requires a OBDII interface module/cable to work on OBDII. New those were $400 but can be found for about $50 now...

With the Tech 2 standard coverage goes back to 1992 vehicles. It covers all systems. Look for a Tech 2 that has a 32 mb memory card. That alone is a $400 upgrade.

Newer vehicles....like the CTS and Saturn ION.....use a newer CAN computer setup. This requires a new CANDI module used inline with the Tech 2. About a $700 upgrade. No way to use a Tech 1 on CAN systems...

post-3-1119543427_thumb.jpg

Jim, if I wanted to observe the ACM system and its associated sensor inputs with this laptop setup could I? Thanks, Mike

Logan, thanks for that information. So if I buy a Tech 1a for say $500 I can only use it for my 96 and nothing newer... hmmm that is not good

How much will a Tech 2 cost with what I need to analyze my car? I have a friend in a high position at HP, hmmm

Thanks

Logan, thanks for that information.  So if I buy a Tech 1a for say $500 I can only use it for my 96 and nothing newer... hmmm that is not good

How much will a Tech 2 cost with what I need to analyze my car?  I have a friend in a high position at HP, hmmm

Thanks

Tech 2's can be found on ebay for $1500-$2000. I got lucky, I got mine for $1400 on a Buy It Now deal and it came with a 32mb cartridge that was updated thru early 2005.

If I could find another deal like that one, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and resell it for a little profit!

I paid about $500 for my Tech 1A, but thanks to several good Buy It Now deals, I was able to sell off duplicate cartridges and hardware and ended up with a net cost of about $100 in my entire system, including the OBDII VIM module.

Good luck!

Jim, if I wanted to observe the ACM system and its associated sensor inputs with this laptop setup could I? Thanks, Mike

Pull down the s/w and run it in "Simulate" mode. The owner of the web page might be able to answer specific questions.

I have no Cadillac experience prior to '98 Seville models. ACM has no meaning for me.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

GM full coverage is about 1996 with the Tech 1/1a. AND that is the Tech1a + using a OBDII VIM module. (thank nitrois....I had forgotten the name)

The GM Tech 2 in the long run is the better bargain....IF you plan on buying more Cadillacs or GM products.

Ours was $2300 back in 1997. Then added a eBay 32mb card for $150. Sold the 10 MB card to a guy in Britten for $100. They can still use the 10mb card for GM makes in Europe..Vaxhall, Saab etc. So the 10 MB cards DO have some value. The memory card simply has to be updated. I actually had 2 10 mb memory cards....cant remember why...but both were sold in Europe.

We are starting to look for Vetronix CANDI module.

The GM Tech 2 in the long run is the better bargain....IF you plan on buying more Cadillacs or GM products.

I'd have to agree with this - the only reason I keep my Tech 1A around is to scan my '86 Corvette and my parents old '83 Buick Lesabre. For anything newer than 92 - I always use my Tech 2.

Archived