CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Borla exhaust?

EldoEsq.

I was going to put on some dynomax mufflers...had all the parts picked out...then my buddy who is a mechanic convinced me to stay away from the aluminized mufflers (even with POR-15, they will rust from within, I was told).

Was wondering if anyone here has welded up some borla mufflers...

hmm... I would have to ask how different exactly are the Borla mufflers in composition?

I as well as a few others on this board are running DynoMax Super Turbo... and as far as I know everyone has been quite happy with them including myself.

Well, Borla's are stainless steel throughout the entire muffler, as opposed to the aluminized steel of the dynomax. They cost 4 times as much, but will last 4 times as long. My buddy said "do it right, do it once."

was just curious if anyone has had these installed on their N*...

I think it boils down to what sound you like. Which is better sounding to you? Yes the Borla is stainless and will last a long time. How long do you expect to keep your car? The borla may just outlast your ownership of the car...and then again maybe not. Not that that is a bad thing. I have heard only positive remarks regarding Dynomax mufflers. My stainless (oem) mufflers and exhaust system has been long gone. Simply rotted through. I currently have Napa performance true fit mufflers which are non-stainless. They still look good with a little over 3 salty winters on them. But then again I rinse the mufflers down every time I wash the car.

Considering the cost difference, how long you expect to keep the car, will you still like them years down the road, and the fact that the better quality non-stainless last a long time, I would base it on something other than durability.....like "Woo weee! Them there mufflers sound mighty fine!"

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I think Borlas would be loud, but are absolutely better built than the Walker (Dynomax). True, you may not own the car long enough to notice. The OE stainless on my '97 is still perfect after almost 150k miles. Frankly, I'd like an excuse to install something else, but until then...

I like either Borlas or Edelbrocks. The Edelbrocks are also stainless steel. I've had an Edelbrock muffler before and was real happy with it. Hard to say how it would sound behind a Northstar without actually hearing it.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Super Turbos are aluminized mild steel:

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.stm

The UltraFlows are fully stainless steel, and are probably on-par with an Edelbrock or Borla for quality and sound characteristics.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived