CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

codes

GOOB

As far as I know, that does not usually set a code, since it almost always related to the Vats system ie: dirty resister pellet, or dirty contacts, or contact conector going bad in lock cylinder, you might want to try to spray the key and the inner lock cylinder with WD 40 or try a spare key.

Some others might have more insight on it.

John

John

As far as I know, that does not usually set a code, since it almost always related to the Vats system ie: dirty resister pellet, or dirty contacts, or contact conector going bad in lock cylinder, you might want to try to spray the key and the inner lock cylinder with WD 40 or try a spare key.

Some others might have more insight on it.

John

Correct, no codes. GOOB, if the key and ignition contacts are ok, the wires of ignition lock may be going bad (mine did two yeras ago). You better to have a closer look at them ASAP. Repairing them does not make much sense just replace them or have a matching resistor handy in case you have to bypass VAT inserting the resistot into the circuit on the car's side.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Bypassing ther vats is a simple thing to do, just measure your resister pellet to find the correct value, then head out to radio shack or some other electronics supply house and find the combnation of reistors you need to match your value.

Then just solder them togeather and double check your value when you finish, now head under the dash, look to the left for the big bulkhead connector, it has 3 wiring harness connectors going into it, you are looking for the one coming from the steering column, and on the right hand side will be 2 thin (usually) orange wires these are for the vats system coming from the ignition lock cylinder, cut and splice your resisitor setup between the 2 wires on the bulkhead end, not the steering column end, and it should get rid of the warning.

It is best to repair the ignition, but remember if you do it this way , you will not have the security function of the vats, which makes it a littles easier for someone to jack your car.

John

Bypassing ther vats is a simple thing to do, just measure your resister pellet to find the correct value, then head out to radio shack or some other electronics supply house and find the combnation of reistors you need to match your value.

Then just solder them togeather and double check your value when you finish, now head under the dash, look to the left for the big bulkhead connector, it has 3 wiring harness connectors going into it, you are looking for the one coming from the steering column, and on the right hand side will be 2 thin (usually) orange wires these are for the vats system coming from the ignition lock cylinder, cut and splice your resisitor setup between the 2 wires on the bulkhead end, not the steering column end, and it should get rid of the warning.

It is best to repair the ignition, but remember if you do it this way , you will not have the security function of the vats, which makes it a littles easier for someone to jack your car.

jbuck,

if i do this as a "temp repair", can i eventually reverse it when i decide to actually fix the problem

(born and raised in conway, s.c.)

Then just solder them togeather and double check your value when you finish, now head under the dash, look to the left for the big bulkhead connector, it has 3 wiring harness connectors going into it, you are looking for the one coming from the steering column, and on the right hand side will be 2 thin (usually) orange wires these are for the vats system coming from the  ignition lock cylinder, cut and splice your resisitor setup between the 2 wires  on the bulkhead end, not the steering column end, and it should get rid of the warning.

jbuck,

if i do this as a "temp repair", can i eventually reverse it when i decide to actually fix the problem

(born and raised in conway, s.c.)

Sure you can. Sorry, I just noticed the question was not addressed to me.

Goob,

No problem to reverse the procedure, when you get around to replacing the lock cylinder it will come with the vats wires with the proper terminals to go into the wiring harness, at this point you can cut out your resister assembly and either cut your new wires and solder & heat shrink to the old wires coming off the connector or remove the old cut wires from the wiring harnes and insert the new ones.

I just did this on mine about a month ago.

John

Born and raised in Columbia, SC, been to Conway and Myrtle Beach many many times.

John

GOOB,

I would keep the resistor (or a pair to match the nominal on your key) in the glove box in case you cannot start the car some day. It happened to me. Make sure you know the wires where the resistor should go and you have a knife in the car.

Archived