CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

XLR, SL, Z4

kdaddy

The 2004 Cadillac XLR Convertible, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class, and the 2004 BMW Z4 are competing in the same class. However, I must say the the BMW does not even come close to the other two. In fact, it has anemic HP, short list of options, an overall appearance seems bland. However its $30,000 less than the Caddy and $40,000 less than the Benz. If your budget drives your decision than you go with the Beemer. The Benz on the other hand is 10 grand more than the Cadillac and has a few extra options. However, the Benz also has higher series within that model line and offers higher HP but at a significantly higher price tag above 100 grand. But all things being equal one may consider the Base SL Benz for 10 grand more than the caddy. I wonder if GM plans on adding additional motors for the XLR to compete with the Benz and possibly reduce the price to compete with the BMW. This market is very small and I think it is going to be difficult for Cadillac to position itself. Please opine :o

Well Just my 2 cents I'm American and I buy American.I would not consider a beemer or a benz .So there would be no comparing the cars it would be xlr all the way for me. I don't want to support other countries.Bad enough some to there parts make there way into US cars.I don't think cadillac is in a tough spot it's the only spot for me(American).

Jim

I don't think the Z4 is competing with the XLR, unless you consider all 2-seat convertibles in one class. I suppose the Z4 competes with the Corvette convertible, but mostly with the Boxer.

The main competition for the XLR is the Lexus SC-430, Jaguar XK8, and the Mercedes SL.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived