CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I was penny smart and pound foolish

JIMDTS

I now have 443 miles on the engine after the rebuild another 50 some miles and I will change the oil and filter.Just too have a peek at the element in the filter. I should have told the mechanic to add the cooling supplement or bars leak gold just gave him a tube of bars leak Now I have to pop off a radiator hose to add it so I will just drain it and refill with the dexcool with the proper mix50/50 and distilled water. So far soooo good I could have saved some time and money but I like to know what is in my cars.. So far I didn't appear to use any oil hard to tell with so low miles, before at 500 I would have used 1 quart. I imagine I will use regular valvoline oil that's what the dealer uses to after this oil change the dealer can do the future ones. I still do not agree with changing the oil by the dic I may be just wasting money but oil is cheap. I know the oil chage indicator is well designed but it can't pick up dirt and foreign matter in the oil I will just monitor the oil and change as needed. Heck I just like clean oil. When it's dirty it's dirty in my book ..Here's an interesting bit of info that I was told most the oil pumps that a few mechanics I know have changed all have been driven by the oil change indicator like 8,000 mi. + oil changes and the oil pump failed I was told the valve but I don't recall the proper name "shuttle" if I recall it has clogged up from dirty oil causing the pump not to work Bill may will chime in on this.

Cheers

Jim

I should have told the mechanic to add the cooling supplement or bars leak gold just gave him a tube of bars leak Now I have to pop off a radiator hose to add it so I will just drain it and refill with the dexcool with the proper mix50/50 and distilled water.

Jim

Jim,

You don't have to drain it. If you remove the upper hose at the engine, you'll loose a minimal amout of coolant.

Hi Ranger

That sounds like the best idea to do I probably loose maybe a gallon at the most by doing it that way Just pull the top hose let it drain easy to do it's all in the open to get at the top hose at the engine.

Thanks

Jim

In the morning I need to take a trip to wallmart and get the needed items..they should have everyting coolant,oil, bars leak I'm not sure if they carry a delco filter though but their is plenty of discount auto stores on the way home ...

Hi Ranger

That sounds like the best idea to do I probably loose maybe a gallon at the most by doing it that way Just pull the top hose let it drain easy to do it's all in the open to get at the top hose at the engine.

Thanks

Jim

In the morning I need to take a trip to wallmart and get the needed items..they should have everyting coolant,oil, bars leak I'm not sure if they carry a delco filter though but their is plenty of discount auto stores on the way home ...

JimDTS,

Delco Filters now at Advance Auto Parts, not AutoZone...

Top Radiator hose can be removed with a towel below it

to catch what comes out of the hose. It isn't much.

Three tubes of Walmart BarsLeak

Equals three tablets of DelcoLeak.

Have fun!

Hi Ranger

Probably less than a quart.

'scuse me, but the pellets or powder are supposed to go in the LOWER hose, not the upper. The idea is to get the stuff into the BLOCK by the most direct route. Not the radiator or the heater core. Suction of the water pump is the best indicator of the right spot, not the discharge.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived