CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Starter replacement

downlow

Good morning guys, I was wondering is it hard to replace the starter on a 92 seville non-n* or should I have it replaced by a shop, it will start but sometimes I have to turn the key 2 or three times before it will startup I was told by the company that installed my alarm that the starter was bad, also I have a auto-starter installed on this car I have heard that they are trouble for cadillacs is this true and should I disconnect it when I replace the starter?? Thanks

Hi,

My 91 STS 4.9 has the same problem. It click a few times without cranking over. I know it is the starter solenoid that does this. I also proved it with two meters on it.

So I bought a new solenoid. When I went to remove the starter, I got it loose, but couldn't get it out because the exhaust pipe is in the way. Decided to put the starter back on for the time being and take it to a shop later.

It's been that way for more than a year now, and does it sometimes but usually turns first try. No worse yet, and the new solenoid is riding in the trunk.

Bob B

Hi,

My 91 STS 4.9 has the same problem. It click a few times without cranking over. I know it is the starter solenoid that does this. I also proved it with two meters on it.

So I bought a new solenoid. When I went to remove the starter, I got it loose, but couldn't get it out because the exhaust pipe is in the way. Decided to put the starter back on for the time being and take it to a shop later.

It's been that way for more than a year now, and does it sometimes but usually turns first try. No worse yet, and the new solenoid is riding in the trunk.

Bob B

On older cars the cables and connections are usually the culprits and people mistakenly replace the starters and solenoids... During replacement the connections are redone so they work better and give impression that new starters and solenoids solved the problem.

bobnsue2,

Try to put a jumper from battery positive to the solenoid's positive (BE CAREFUL!). As soon as solenoid gets enough ampers this way it will work. Mine works that way for nearly two years. Same thing happened one November morning - click no crank. The battery was fine.

The jumper bypasses starter enable and neutral safety switches which is not good, but since nobody but me drives the car I do not care.

downlow, you have got a private message.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived