CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ac/problem

jmsts

hello, i dropped the sts off at a local garage today to have the a/c problem that i had on vacation looked at . i have a friend that works there and he will be checking things out. last week i picked up a 13a refrigerant can with a pressure gage on it & when i hooked it up per instructions, the gage read high pressure have system serviced , i decided that it was time to take the car to a garage that could check things out better than me at home . the results (good i hope) will be posted. thanks, jmsts.

It is impossible to tell the state of the system has the proper charge by the low side reading only. If you hook up a gage to the low pressure side and the engine is off - compressor not running, the static pressure will be 70-80 psi - that will be in the danger zone of one of the compressor killer kit gages...

The only positive way to asses the system charge os to recover the refrigerant, weigh it and compare it to the system capacity. You can an approximation by monitoring the high and low side pressure readings and comparing them to the system specifications in the shop manual.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hmmm,....low side is at 80-90 psi when it should be 35-55 psi (predicated on outside air temperature), ....my guess the orifice tube has 'evaporated', because that is what causes the pressure drop and throttling effect of the freon...

or

compressor guts is 'shot' and high pressure is blowing back through low side...

Hmmm,....low side is at 80-90 psi when it should be 35-55 psi (predicated on outside air temperature), ....my guess the orifice tube has 'evaporated', because that is what causes the pressure drop and throttling effect of the freon...

or

compressor guts is 'shot' and high pressure is blowing back through low side...

I would not conclude ANYTHING from just a low side reading from a "compressor killer kit"....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

YOU NEED TO HAVE CAR RUNNING AND AIR ON AND THEN HOOK UP GAGE TO LOW SIDE, IT WILL MOST LIKLEY READ AROUND 20 TO 24 IF IT NEEDS CHARGED, CHARGE TO AROUND 40 POUNDS, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE 134 FLOWING A LITTLE WHEN YOU HOOK UP SO YOU DON'T PUMP AIR INTO SYSTEM

Archived