CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AC noises....Blower Malfunction...

acklac7

Ok this has occured about two or three times in the past couple weeks..And it seems only to occur when it is hot outside...like 87+. Ill start up the car, or just be driving and out of no-where the blower motor will come on and start blowing warm air....I can't turn it off b/c I never turned it on!!! lol...Today I turned the AC on and then turned the AC off...And the blower motor stopped as well...Is this a sign of trouble?

Also noticed today a real nasty noise when upon start up, The AC was on and I figured it was the AC compressor. I turned the AC off and sure enough the sound went away. I got moving and turned the AC on again and no sound....Also It doesn't make any noise while driving/idiling with the AC off....While in park I tried to turn the AC on agian....It made a "hellified" noise, and then it seemed like there wasn't enough power to turn the compressor?...And there was no air coming out of the vents...But the AC was on......................Just tried it again and the AC worked fine (in idle)...Only noise was a whoosh whoosh whoosh-ing coming from the compressor area..which I believe is normal.

I believe I had the compressor replaced under warranty about 2 years/35,000 miles ago (could be wrong...but Im pretty sure it was)...Could it be going bad agian? If so why?...Thanks

A.J.

The blower motor will come on by itself if the PCM thinks that there is chance the IPC is in danger of overheating from heat. Just think of it as the computer trying to protect itself from a melt down.

Can't answer the problem about the compressor.......

Dennis

Ok this has occured about two or three times in the past couple weeks..And it seems only to occur when it is hot outside...like 87+. Ill start up the car, or just be driving and out of no-where the blower motor will come on and start blowing warm air....I can't turn it off b/c I never turned it on!!! lol.

I have that same thing happen on my 92 eldo, but it's happen for the past 2 years with no issues so I just figure it's supossed to? Like acklac7 said, it only happens when it's really hot outside, and it doen't happen often. And it doesn't stay on long. And it usually happens within 10 minutes of starting the car when I'm idleing on a hot day. I have no other problems though. And by the way, if when it kicks on by it self, you wait a few seconds, hit the AC button, then shut it back off, that will stop the hot ait from blowing.

I'm glad he said something, I though I was going crazy or something.

How many people's caddies do this in HOT weather?

Come to think of it mine hasn't done it in a while.....hmmmm......now that I wrote this...... :rolleyes:

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Well I found out what the noise was...It was the blower motor that was whining...Not the AC compressor....Found out cause the motor finnaly went south on the way home....A errr-errr-err-errrrr...and then I saw/smelled the smoke..And no more fan :( ...At least it's not the compressor :) ....I'm going to order a new motor tonight....My blower housing is decomposing...Can I expect it to disenegrate when I go to install the new motor? Also do I risk damaging the IPC if I drive in hot weather without a b. fan?....I hope not.

A.J.

I wouldn't worry about the IPC but if your HVAC housing is disintegrating don't use my method of perduading the new blower in. You'll have to do it the hard way and rock the engine forward.

Archived