CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tightening the oil pan bolts

PAUL T

I mentioned in an earlier post that while I was looking at my A/C compressor, I tightened all but 2 (that I could not get to) bolts in my 94 Concours about a half to a full turn. I have had an oil leak since I bought it about 3-1/2 years ago. Well, it seems that by tightening the oil pan bolts my oil leaking has slowed. I reset my trip odometer every time I put oil in it and I have gained about 400 more miles per quart. No oil seems to drip down the oil filter so I do not suspect the adapter leaking or the oil cooler lines. I may try to loosen the pan bolts and work some sealant into the crack and retighten, it may help a little more. I thought about puting sealant on the bolts and reinstalling them also. The local chevy dealer told me I had a case half leak without putting dye into it and diagnosing it right. I have always suspected the oil pan though. Anybody else have any suggestions on how to reseal the oil pan without removing the engine?

Pull those pan bolts out one at a time and put thread sealant on them. Clean the bolts and holes good with brake cleaner before you put em back in.

I spent a fair amount of time watching mine with dye in it, and the seepage of oil into the bolt threads was a significant problem.

Archived