CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Any car audio people on here

I was just wondering if anyone on here has subwoofers in there caddy and if they do is it worth the money? I have heard from a few people that it is harder getting bass out of a cadillac because they are so sealed compared to other cars :huh: . Whatever that means lol I am pretty close to buying a 15 inch Sage 3 woofer from rockford and was wondering if anyone on here could tell me if thats the right choice or not I dont no anything about this I just want to get a woofer that pounds and is right for my cadillac. Any help appreiciated.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I have two 12" Rockfords in my Cadillac, sounds great because it is sealed so well.

Your not getting that brutal trunk/license plate rattle like all the ricers. The subs mixed with the bose is a great combo, plus theres alot of room in the trunk for the setup. One 15" might be great for the car.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

I have two 12" Rockfords in my Cadillac, sounds great because it is sealed so well.

Your not getting that brutal trunk/license plate rattle like all the ricers. The subs mixed with the bose is a great combo, plus theres alot of room in the trunk for the setup. One 15" might be great for the car.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

What kind of box did you put them in?

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I highly recommend the Kicker SoloBaric Subs hands down, for the space they use up (barely bigger than the packaging it comes in !).

They do have one downfall, they need more power than a regular sub would but the payoff is more trunk space and a really deep bottom end.

I have two 10" Alpine subs in a dual sealed box powered by a 400 watt Audiobahn amp. I love my setup and get compliments on it all the time. No rattles outside or in because of how well caddies are built. You will need a really powerful amp if you want to hear it outside the car, I can turn mine up to where it almost hurts you inside, but with the windows rolled up, and the trunk closed, you barley hear it standing outside the caddy....now roll down the windows and pop the trunk and it's a whole different story.

I wasn't really going for the whole "Hear the car coming from 2 blocks away" setup though, I just wanted a fuller, deeper sound inside the car.

-dave

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Getting a 'woofer that pounds' will be a function of the driver diameter more than anything else. I would say you would want 15" diameter minimum if you want good lows below 50 hertz. All brands recommended on this post are worthwhile, Rockfords are expensive (you are paying for the name), but definitely upper end speakers.

I did a search on this sub, and its actually called a Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 3. At 2 ohm impedance, 500 watts RMS and 1000 watts peak, you'll need a decent amp to push it, but it ought to bellow nicely.

Mounting is also critical when trying to re-create good lows. Typically, you want the sub to 'fire' into the car/truck chassis, to low the low frequencies to travel throughout the vehicle. I once saw a post where a guy removed his spare tire in a '93-97 STS and replaced the cover with a wooden panel with the sub pointed upward (recessed in spare tire well). The only problem I saw with that is he was 'firing' the woofer into an open air space rather than back down into the chassis.

You might consider removing the spare and setting the woofer in this compartment lossely, and trying it both ways. If you do not want to mess with this compartment (for the obvious reasons), you might consider placing it in the trunk, just behind the rear seat, and fire it in all 4 directions while listening to it in the drivers seat.

Bottom line, experiment, cars and speakers have their own unique characteristics, as well as what the driver is looking for, and the best results will be yielded from experimentation.

I have two 12" passive Bazookas driven by 400 watts in a Mustang, and really only needed one, for that car and my listening requirements. They both 'fire' to the rear, based on experimentation and recommendation by the OEM.

Archived