CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Another Oil Question for Bbob

Ranger

You may have answered this before but my ROM is so full of Bbobynskiisms that it may be lost in there.

Anyway, my youngest daughter just graduated college and I found her an '04 Grand Am, 3400 engine. (you may recall I just found my older daughter a '99 SLS with 23K on it. I am trying to teach then at a young age to buy American, preferably GM). The owners manual says to use 5w30. Well all my other cars use 10w30 and my garage is as well stocked with 10w30 as any Walmart shelf. The question is, can I use 10w30 in her car or do I now have to start stocking 5w30? As I recall you said 5w30 is for fuel economy. Will 10w30 do any harm? Will the milage difference even be noticable or is the switch to 5w30 just to satisfy the tree huggers?

Just to sneak in here before Guru sets you straight...

I have always been led to believe that in a multi-viscosity oil, the first number is the "weight reference" when cold and the second the "weight reference" when hot.

Now, having said that, most motor guys will tell you that the most damage done to your motor on a consistent basis is during the startup; when oil is in the pan and not at the top and flowing or being pumped through the motor.

A 5W oil is thinner and theoretically will "get there faster" and do so in colder climates. Almost every GM car sold in Canada since 1987 has 5W30 as the "specified requirement" for oil... from GM.

Just my wee bit of hearsay on the matter...

Mike P

my youngest daughter just graduated college and I found her an '04 Grand Am, 3400 engine. (you may recall I just found my older daughter a '99 SLS with 23K on it.

Boy, this is a tough call!

One of your daughters must feel like she got the short end of the stick, but WHICH one? :D:D:D

Regards,

Warren

P.S. If you'd care to adopt me I could be like the low milage Eldorado, er, I mean son, that you never had.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

my youngest daughter just graduated college and I found her an '04 Grand Am, 3400 engine. (you may recall I just found my older daughter a '99 SLS with 23K on it.

Boy, this is a tough call!

One of your daughters must feel like she got the short end of the stick, but WHICH one? :D:D:D

Regards,

Warren

P.S. If you'd care to adopt me I could be like the low milage Eldorado, er, I mean son, that you never had.

Well to be honest Warren, the oldest's first car out of college was a Ford "Snarus" as she called it. She just stepped up to the world of Cadillac with a little nudge from dad. She calls it her "Grannymobile". I think she is coming around though as she had to call me the other day to tell me she "loves this car" after she dusted off a mustang that was trying to edge her out on an on ramp. ;)

The youngest tagged the Grand Am "Blanch" <_ and tells me every day how much she loves it. neither girl was the car. they both contributed about after years of college payments it time to start coming daddy welfare roll. next low milage car i find will let my children buy for me. still want be adopted>

She just stepped up to the world of Cadillac with a little nudge from dad. She calls it her "Grannymobile". I think she is coming around though as she had to call me the other day to tell me she "loves this car" after she dusted off a mustang that was trying to edge her out on an on ramp.

Great to hear she has stepped up and better to hear she named it after my Mom...

My Mom had a '78 vette for 14 years... my Dad says the biggest mistake he ever made as now she tries to corner the Olds '98 the same way... oh dear. He bought her an '02 Aurora recently and now Granny is happy again ripping up the roads and sticking to the corners. Sounds like your daughter is well on her way to growing into her "Grannymobile". B)

Mike P

Archived