CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Another fine terrestrial flight, per Caddy

TDK

Well,

"She who must be obeyed" and I flew the Caddy to Vegas so that my two sons and I could do the Richard Petty Driving Experience. :)

As it should be - youth has its advantages after all! I managed 127mph, by oldest son did 130mph and his younger brother (who also does some SCCA club racing) nailed it with 132 (perhaps the day's best). We were all limited to about 135mph by the instructor in front. Even though I improved by 2mph on each lap - its dang tough trying to concentrate in the few moments you have after getting dropped behind the wheel (which actually snaps in after you are in...) Regardless - what a HOOT! I suggest y'all try it just to get an appreciation for the hard work involved by the pros. ;)

Anyway, the Big Red Dog knew it was in for some "hot laps" to rebuild my deflated ego (finally lost one to both the boys after 33-years - but fair and square). :)

Actual driving time for the 483.57-mile trip back was 345-minutes or 84.1 average. We stopped after 2.5-hours to piddle out and fuel up and again 2-hours later for some chow. Keep in mind that this trip was 3-4 whistle stop burgs at 25mph, some road construction and 90% two-lane roads. All W I D E open for very good sight-distance. Still, passing-speed was usually well into the triples to keep it as brief as possible. This was a total wheels-stopped time of 45-minutes against total flight time of 6.5 for a wheels-rolling time of 5 hours and 45-minutes.

The best section was an 87.14 mile shot between two towns that took 58-minutes or about 90.1mph average. This the same road that is used several times each year for a "Pony Express" timed car races (winner runs over 200-mph average). B)

The Big Red Dog really gets the credit here. "She" is peacefully reading her book and filing her fingernails as were snaking along a stream bed at 105 through this section. Then she says, "So what's so hard about doing only 127 in the NASCAR rig? You go that fast every now and then..." I kindly informed her that its one thing to go relatively straight at 127 - but quite another through a 60o banked corner... I shoulda had her take the $99 3-lap ride along with an instructor at 155mph (she would still be changing her undies...) :D

The part I still don't understand is how the inst miles per gallon goes UP to 22MPG or so - when over a sustained 90mph or so? :blink:

Anyhoo - Thanks Caddy for making it look easy. :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

OUTSTANDING!

Can I come next time? Please, please, please. Kidding, of course (sorta). :D:D:D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Sounds like a helluvan expirience. How many laps and what do they charge for the thrill? From what you said said I am assuming they have a pace car infront of you?

"She" is peacefully reading her book and filing her fingernails."

I'm reminded of my of my old '72 Marquis Brougham. You might recall the TV commercial wherein a diamond cutter sits in the back seat and successfully slices and dices a priceless stone? Okay, you young kids . . . . go to bed.

You could play half court basketball in the back seat of that car and serve dinner for three on the dashboard! AND, my '73 Caddy was even bigger!

Sadly, the BIG car days are likely behind us.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Ranger,

Not to shill for RPDE, its about $367 for 8-laps. But along with our sons' tickets - we also bought a ticket for a "potential son-in-law" :rolleyes: (hopefully), late last year - so we got a 2-for-1 deal at that time. Assuming prerequisites - the price can roll up to $3,000 for 40-laps with personal-instructor sessions to get you up to 165mph.

Its about a 2.5 hour long deal that has obligatory safety notes and several instruction-rides around the track in a van beforehand. There is a fair amount of safety gear (suits, helmet w/NASCAR-restraints etc).

Our youngest son at 24years old - was the youngest person in the 36-person men/women group. Mostly guys like me wanting to try this out before we have to carry oxygen (kidding). :P

Yes, each student has an instructor/pace car who leads the way around the best "line". The cars are all 600-hp 4-speeds (stay in 4th and stay off the brakes).

Feeling the car get on its haunches and work the racing tires a bit when you gas it halfway out of a deep-banked corner is dare I say "better than XXX". :P OK, not quite - - - but you're paying about the same going rate for either ... :blink::D:(:unsure:

Larry - I think there is a track in Milwaukee (a couple hours near you?) ;)

And, NO guys - they don't have any CTS-V's :angry: Yet...

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

TDK, awesome experience and I am envious.

6 years ago I was a weekend warrior short track racer here at a local asphault 1/2 mile oval.

A costly divorce has forced me from my hobby for a while but I hope to return to it.

A guy I used to race against did the long session there and came home with a new respect for the NASCAR boys. Yes, it cost him a fortune (he had to fly there from here as well...) but he was in heaven for quite sometime.

He re-numbered and re-painted his car to reflect the Petty Enterprises marque at our track.

It was obvious that his experience did not address intentional "punting" as he booted me around on the track a few times :blink: ... all in fun though.

Good for you and the family though and cherish the experience :D

Mike P

Archived