CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Taking out tape deck in 93 STS

Chris

My aftermarket FM modulated CD changer died a couple months ago, and since then I've been using a portable MP3 player via car's tape player, but want something well... better.

I went into a Future Shop to have an MP3/CD deck put in, but they told me that because the car has a trunk-mounted amp (and new cd decks have built-in amps), they would have to rewire the whole system ($80).

Then I went on eBay and found a neat 20gig hard drive and controller ( http://www.crutchfield.com/S-K6PKUpBOQfK/c...w.asp?i=575DMP1 ). I think I will be buying one but when it comes to install I will be stuck... how do I remove the stock non-Bose deck? I will need to connect an FM modulator for this 20gig MP3 player.

Taking off the black plastic insert around the deck doesnt seem to reveal anything I could unscrew/remove, so I guess the whole center console has to come out? How do I do this?

Thanks everyone!

-Chris

I went into a Future Shop to have an MP3/CD deck put in, but they told me that because the car has a trunk-mounted amp (and new cd decks have built-in amps), they would have to rewire the whole system ($80).

ACCK!! "Rewire the whole system??" Shoot the S.O.B. before he multiplies!

Think VERY carefully before you let anyone do this to you. The downstream results might cause you much grief.

Search on "car stereo help" and find any number of sites that will offer free advice and installation info. One such, for example, is http://www.installdr.com

A little patience will be rewarded when you land a system you'll enjoy for years.

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Don't forget that with level adjusting devices, amps CAN be connected to pre-amps. It may not be the ideal, but it can produce very satisfying results.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Just to clarify, I plan on buying this 20gig harddrive as an alternative to rewiring the whole system.

I'll read over your post again tommorrow when my brain is functioning well enough to comprehend anything :D

-Chris

Archived