CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Crankshaft sensor position Eldorado touring coupe 1993 4.6l

Hi again, Where is the sensor position and how do I replace them?

It´s two I understand but are they same no difference? Pictures show two different colour.

My cadillac service manual powertrain show pictures they are in front of the engine but youtube videos show they are back of oil filter at the back of engine. What is right?

Thanks

Picture shows front of engine.

I've forgotten why they are different colors. 

crankshaft.JPG

Ok, but tell me what are the two sensors that are above the oil filter 
that all the youtube videos show and say are the crankshaft sensors.

se youtube video. STS 4,6 northstar. Two color grey and black. You have to demont oilfilter and adapter 

sensor.png

Edited by ejje

The (2) sensors above the oil filter are the crankshaft sensors. Front of engine, above oil filter housing. 

One tan, one black. 

crankshaft2.JPG

Hi again,
I want to start by apologizing profusely for my rant about the oil filter being in the back of the engine.
 Today I got the car in for a lift and then see that I have had a different engine in my crazy brain/memory. 
I then have a question, is the only way to change the sensors by disassembling the filter and adapter? 
I saw that it is very difficult to fit. A large engine mount also seems to be in the way.

Btw, are the two sensors different or are they same? I ask because the shop say they only have one sort and they have same number.

Edited by ejje

I've forgotten why they are different colors. I think the older ones are actually the same.....but you need to verify that. 

In 2000 the Northstar had a redesign.....on 2000 and newer the sensors ARE different.  

I did mine about 20 years ago. Easier if you remove the oil filter housing from the block. 

Ok, thanks. I have to examine what sensors I have. 

Any idea where I can find the OEM number the sensors have?

there is only on Ebay. My shop have 160 day to get them. They have only for new cars.

We can stop. I have get good information.

Edited by ejje

Not the biggest fan of Rock Auto.....but they do have a handy way to look up parts. 

Anyway.....hopefully the page will work for you showing the what they sell (and part #s) for the 1993 Eldorado crank sensors. 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,1993,eldorado,4.6l+v8,1026212,ignition,crankshaft+position+sensor,7196