CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sometimes, small things are the answer...

Marika

I had an intermittent engine "rumble" that usually occurred when I was stopped at a light.

I couldn't figure out what was wrong and no codes were setting.

The gas station owner pointed out to me that he could not hear the tank pressurizing as he removed the gas cap and thought I should get a new gas cap.

I ordered it from the dealership a week ago and picked it up today. I installed it at the dealership, giving the old one to the dealership for proper disposal. (It stunk of gasoline odor and was wet with gasoline)

On the way home from the dealership, I stopped for a light and got spooked for a second or so when I thought the car had stalled, but in fact, it was just idling so quietly and softly that I couldn't hear it running. :)

Now that's a caddy......purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring happily at the light and roaring while it runs.

Problem solved. B)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

As a follow up on the new gas cap, here's what I've noticed so far:

The engine runs quieter now.

The gas mileage has improved.

The engine now produces the same speed at lower RPMs. Example: when I was traveling at 60 MPH, the engine would do a steady 2,000 RPMs. Since installing the new gas cap, at 60 MPH, the engine is now producing about 1,850 to 1,900 RPMs. Same speed and it seems it's producing fewer RPMs to obtain that speed.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Maybe that's my problem with the Blazer -- at 60 mph I am pushing 2200 rpms and my gas neck is pretty corroded as well.. I'll look into it. Thanks

-Eric

Yes, if the system is not pressurizing correctly it will effect your gas mileage and engine performance.

The gas cap is probably one of the most important parts of the car and the most neglected.

Marika et al - hold on now.

Although I love your passion and dedication for detail...

I thought gas tanks were actually vented to a carbon cannister near the engine that "adsorbed" the vapors, which was evacuated at startup by the engine?

Your're saying it ain't so? The tanks are supposed to slightly pressurized? I would think EPA-freaks would flip out on this one!

How can this (gas cap) help performance - considering a functional fuel pump and all the injectors etc governing fuel delivery - regardless of supply tank pressure?

Sheese! gotta get out the cutting torch & sawzall more often to check on constructs.

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Marika et al - hold on now.

Although I love your passion and dedication for detail...

I thought gas tanks were actually vented to a carbon cannister near the engine that "adsorbed" the vapors, which was evacuated at startup by the engine?

Your're saying it ain't so?  The tanks are supposed to slightly pressurized?  I would think EPA-freaks would flip out on this one!

How can this (gas cap) help performance - considering a functional fuel pump and all the injectors etc governing fuel delivery - regardless of supply tank pressure?

Sheese! gotta get out the cutting torch & sawzall more often to check on constructs.

No, never said anything like this. <_>

The cap is supposed to seal the tank correctly so no fuel vapors leak out into the atmosphere past the cap. There is no venting from the cap directly to the carbon canister, the tank itself vents to the canister when over pressurized, like on a very hot day.

A properly sealing cap leads to proper pressurization of the tank and then everything else works better on the way down to the engine. A bad cap will depressurize the entire system and vent fuel vapor into the atmosphere.

You will fail inspection for a leaking gas cap in New Jersey and New York and perhaps other states as well.

The condition of your gas cap is very important. Spend the $20 and buy a new one.

Test your cap by slowly opening it and if you hear a whooshing sound, like air rushing past the cap, then your cap is most likely functioning correctly. If you don't hear that whooshing sound, it's time for a new cap.

In fact, a bad gas cap can go so far as to set a "check engine light" on a vehicle.

Normally, a gas cap lasts about 2 years. Once they start to leak, they can discharge as much as 30 pounds of pollution into the atmosphere every year. That's wasted gas that reduces your mileage, disrupts the way your fueling system works, and pollutes the environment.

Do a search on Google for "check gas cap" or "change gas cap" and see what comes back. There are even a few state websites that advise on replacing the gas cap every 2 ~ 3 years.

It's the small things that really do count sometimes..... :blink:

Marika,

Thanks for the info.

Maybe this is off subject but the other day when I was fueling my STS, as the gas was going in the darndest sound was coming from inside the gas tank. It was a low moaning sound, almost if she was getting her tail pipes massuaged :lol::lol: , Seriously, I have never heard anything like it before. I'll keep track of my gas tanks sound when I refuel her later today.

Thanks Again!

Jim White

Marika,

Thanks for the info.

Maybe this is off subject but the other day when I was fueling my STS, as the gas was going in the darndest sound was coming from inside the gas tank. It was a low moaning sound, almost if she was getting her tail pipes massuaged :lol::lol: , Seriously, I have never heard anything like it before. I'll keep track of my gas tanks sound when I refuel her later today.

Thanks Again!

Jim White

were you using that gas that "puts a tiger in your tank"??? ;)

Marika,

guess i should replace mine then since i have never noticed any pressure coming out when i open the cap for refueling.Oddly though my cap is clean and no fuel odors even when i am parked indoors.

I wonder if Guru can give us one of his famous technical explanations on this one.

Marika,

Mea Culpa,

I'm just lucky I don't bet as much as shoot my mouth (fingers here..) off.

You present a very reasonable explanation and convincing arguement for all of us to buy stock in gas cap companies.

However, being a bonehead and all. I might just leave the cap off as a test to try to duplicate your rumble or get a check engine light.

Your car must be very pleased to have such a devoted owner...

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Marika,

Mea Culpa,

I'm just lucky I don't bet as much as shoot my mouth (fingers here..) off.

You present a very reasonable explanation and convincing arguement for all of us to buy stock in gas cap companies. 

However, being a bonehead and all.  I might just leave the cap off as a test to try to duplicate your rumble or get a check engine light.

Your car must be very pleased to have such a devoted owner...

Nah, you don't need to buy stock in the company, just buy the cap if you need one. All I wanted people to become aware of is that the gas cap is as much an important part of your fuel system as all the other parts of your fuel system. They are designed to work together.

Marika Posted on Feb 24 2004, 10:25 AM
were you using that gas that "puts a tiger in your tank"??? 

Damned if I know. It cost about a buck 90 a gallon though. It's never done it since.

It was quite amusing!!

Jim

The "expert" say that gas will rise well over $2 gallon by this summer. Expect to dig a little deeper into your wallet to drive that baby around.

Archived