CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

First time visitor and some advice!

Hello,

Just joined these forums so hello everyone!  I am not currently a Caddy owner yet but I'm looking at pre-owned CTS and XTS cars.  I currently have an '05 Bonneville GXP so a Cadillac in a Pontiac wrapper :) .  

So the advice I'm looking for is two-fold.  First my Bonneville 4.6 Northstar is using oil.  Some history first though.  I bought the car at 35,000 miles and immediately switched the oil out for Amsoil.  It ran fine and never had an issue with oil up until the timing chain guides wore through and it jumped time at 160,000.  I had it trailered to Northstar Performance in Canada and had a "new" engine installed by Jake Wiebe the owner.  Suffice it to say there were some issues through this process - the car had to go back for a stuck valve caused by an out of place roller finger follower but that issue has been resolved.  However, ever since I got the car back it has been going through a lot of oil but I have not done the measurement technique yet to find out how much exactly.  Fast forward to now and I currently have just about 200,000 on it and 40k on the new engine.  Since I got it back I've been putting Quaker State 5W-30 and changing it every 3000 miles.  I did not want to put expensive synthetic in it with as much as it was going through - maybe this was a bad choice. 

Based on this thread:  

I am thinking about performing the suggestions there.  Specifically running it to the low oil level warning and then adding a quart and seeing how many miles per court I'm getting.  The other one about driving for 500 miles I was curious if you fill it back up on the second tank with premium because 500 miles would be a couple of tanks of gas.  And the other question is where it says to floor the accelerator once or twice is this starting at 55 and going to 80 and literally once or twice during the entire trip? 

Now on to the second bit of advice.  I'm looking for a pre-owned XTS or CTS.  I have several questions and if anyone has specific advice I should be aware of that would be appreciated.  My questions are: 

• Is the primary difference between CTS and XTS performance and sporty feel? I think CTS is a bit smaller and has stiffer suspension maybe. I haven't test driven a CTS yet.
  • I am looking at the premium or premium luxury trim levels.  Am I asking for trouble with all the electronics?  I am mainly wanting to get something with a HUD because I'm used to it in my Bonneville.  It's hard to go back once you have had that. 
  • Every one that I have test driven has had some issue with the electronics not working - this can't be a good sign.  Also not crazy about the responsiveness (or lack thereof)  of the CUE system.
  • Wonder about the 3.6 longevity - I have been looking at cars anywhere from 35k miles on up to 125k miles.  Should I worry about buying a car with over 100k miles on it?  Will I run into issues soon?  For instance on the Northstar people were saying that you were lucky if you got beyond 100k. In hindsight if I had fixed my timing chain when the problem started occurring my original engine would probably still be running strong! 
  • If I look at the 2.0T or the turbo-charged 3.6 is it required to run premium gas in them? Should I even consider one of these - do they have more problems? 

That's all I can think of at the moment!  

Thanks in advance!  Looking forward to owning my first Caddilac!

Edited by CaddyRich
Added another question.

• Is the primary difference between CTS and XTS performance and sporty feel? I think CTS is a bit smaller and has stiffer suspension maybe. I haven't test driven a CTS yet.

XTS is larger, transverse V8 with FWD or AWD.  CTS is midsize with RWD or AWD.  Go drive each and see what you like.  The XTS can be more luxurious but less sporty.

• I am looking at the premium or premium luxury trim levels.  Am I asking for trouble with all the electronics?  I am mainly wanting to get something with a HUD because I'm used to it in my Bonneville.  It's hard to go back once you have had that.

Look for Premium, Platinum or V packages for HUD.  Sometimes in Technology package in current models. 

• Every one that I have test driven has had some issue with the electronics not working - this can't be a good sign.  Also not crazy about the responsiveness (or lack thereof)  of the CUE system.

The newer the electronics the better of course.  Watch for spider webbing on screens, and stay away from dealer repairs for non-warranty screen replacement.

• Wonder about the 3.6 longevity - I have been looking at cars anywhere from 35k miles on up to 125k miles.  Should I worry about buying a car with over 100k miles on it?  Will I run into issues soon?  For instance on the Northstar people were saying that you were lucky if you got beyond 100k. In hindsight if I had fixed my timing chain when the problem started occurring my original engine would probably still be running strong! 

The 3.6L has been a bread and butter engine and ranges from 255 hp to 315 hp in various versions.  There was a timing chain issue with some engines.  I enjoyed my 3.6L engine in the CTS.  

• If I look at the 2.0T or the turbo-charged 3.6 is it required to run premium gas in them? Should I even consider one of these - do they have more problems?

Premium fuel only yes.  The 2L Turbo has been solid, and the LF3/LF4 twin turbos I have not heard any issues other than maintenance costs (keep fresh spark plugs in turbo engines, so 60K miles not 100k miles for plugs).  We had an ATS with 2L turbo that was a lovely car.  My ATS-V and CT4-V BW have the TT3.6 and it is a delight.

Watch for rear differential issues -- check fluid, listen for issues.  That can be expensive and backlogged.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube