CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Caddy Has New Piston Rings - Update

Dasher

Well, after giving it a lot of thought, I called my friendly service manager and told him that I had decided NOT to have him change the rings. I think he thought I was losing my mind; but he's always known I'm a bit off anyway.

I got all the way through a 3000 mile oil change interval without changing a quart and that's good enough for me. Even if I start to get less miles per quart again, it's a lot more fun to do WOTS than to get the piston rings changed.

I was just afraid of trading a problem I can handle for one that I couldn't.

So far, I can still afford a little oil but if oil and gas keep going up I'm not sure. LOL

or maybe that should be COL from Crying Out Loud.

Thats great Dasher

Time will tell how mine will do on the consumption program to monitor the oil usage.I have been getting in 3 or 4 WOT's per day I drop it in second and take it up to redline and coast back down to the speed limit. Smetimes if I don't back off before the shift point I shift into 3rd gear and coast back down and it will shift back into second.I try to run it up to just before the shift point from 2nd to 3rd.Iwas doing this today and my wife gets upset I ws in light traffic and you get going pretty quick the northstar will really take off from 45mph doing the wot. fastest I had the car up to was 117mph and the darn car still had more to go I had to back off for traffic It car pulls very smooth from 45mph all the way up to 117mph and still had some left to go..It's impressive to me..One day I'll figure out what the top end is..So far it's unknown to me with this one.I imagine it's not that much more before the speed limiter kicks in..

Jim

I do my WOTS on the Xway when there isn't too much traffic. In second gear, all those WOTS won't take you much past the 70 mph speed limit.

Hi Dasher

It will take you way over 70mph if you hold you foot to the floor once it hits redline it just shift into 3rd gear trust on this one..Mine is somewhere just above 80mph when it shifts into 3rd. I just coast back down and the it kicks back into second gear and repeat the process.Too get the best results I back off just before redline and deaccelerate loading the engine.It sounds nice but I don't want to keep doing this you can only beat up any car just so much..LOL it can be fun too..

I usually do this by myself my wife gets upset when I redline this car.Gives me an excuse to go out myself..It has it's advantages for me..

Jim

It will take you way over 70mph if you hold you foot to the floor once it hits redline

On an LD8/3.11 powertrain, 2nd gear will take you all the way to a theoretical 97 mph (at 6000 rpm)!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Jason,

"On an LD8/3.11 powertrain, 2nd gear will take you all the way to a theoretical 97 mph (at 6000 rpm)!"

You're correct,

While I have the other flavor (3.71 power train) when I did some WOT a few weeks back in second gear I' thinking I was over 80 MPH on the first one and I tripped the limiter and the car shifted into third gear. After that I would limit my speed to 75 MPH before backing out of the throttle.

My question is is ok (from a transmission perspective) to down shift into second gear say at 55 mph or so?

Jim White

I'm no expert on these newer cars, but I believe the speed limiter is set to match the factory tires... I thought the DTS came with H-rated = 130 mph. (Not that I recommend such speeds on public roads... I could imagine that running over a popsicle stick at that speed could be disasterous!)

On the oil consumption thing... keep in mind that closing the throttle at very high RPM will create VERY high vacuum readings... I imagine this will tend to draw oil past the rings, which is the whole idea--clean the rings. Thus, lots of "exercise" in 2nd gear can/will use lots of oil... a good thing in the long run, I think.

I try to do a WOT a least once a week B) ... if I see "dust" in the rearview mirror, I do another! :P I add oil if the "Check Oil Level" comes on between changes as per the DIC, and otherwise dont' worry about it. Almost 114,000 miles, over 10 years, and running better than ever!

Archived