CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Preparing for a front motor mount job

kobalt

My suspicions came true - my front motor mount is on its way out. I was unable to do a search as doing so seems to cause my browser to crash (anyone else have this problem?). The only way for me to search was to go back page by page. What I found was a diagram of the front mount and the bracket it is attached to, and the info stating that the radiator might need to be removed. I took off the radiator cover and the bumper splash shield to take a closer look as to what Im delaing with. I can see the bracket and the mount as well as the four bracket bolts. Not much room to work with and it seems that the nut attaching the mount to the bracket is blocked off by the exhaust manifold. So here are my questions:

1. Does the radiator and condenser need to come out?

2. I do not have an engine hoist - can I safely jack up the motor instead?

3. How much clearance is required for the mount/bracket to come out and do I need to remove anything to acheive this clearance?

4. How much time is required?

Any other tips/suggestions would be appreciated as well. Perhaps forum members who have performed this procedure could chime in? Thank you very much in advance!

Kobalt,

Hope this helps:

"Does the radiator and condenser need to come out?"

Possibly not. The two bolts on top of the mount should be accessible through the slots in the mount bracket by using some extensions and a universal joint.

"I do not have an engine hoist - can I safely jack up the motor instead?"

It's a tough deal to jack the engine from the front without possibly placing too much force on the oil pan or other areas - not to mention the risk of what might happen if the engine slips while you're tugging at the bolts. Rent a hoist and be safe.

3. How much clearance is required for the mount/bracket to come out and do I need to remove anything to acheive this clearance?

I don't see what type of car you've got. If you can't reach the top bolts on the mount, you'lll need to pull the radiator and tip the condenser toward the driver's side of the car. The engine needs to be lifted about 4 - 6 inches to remove the mount BUT be careful that the transmission side mount (driver's side) is not stressed. If so, you'll need to loosen this one also.

4. How much time is required? Figure about 45 minutes - if you don't bust your knuckles!

Good Luck! :)

It's a tough deal to jack the engine from the front without possibly placing too much force on the oil pan or other areas - not to mention the risk of what might happen if the engine slips while you're tugging at the bolts. Rent a hoist and be safe

Coundn't agree with this point more... In my neck of the woods they are really cheap to rent, the equivalent of about $10US a day... a small price IMO for the safety you and your engine will gain. Plus the working room you will gain by not having the jack under the car with you will make the job all that easier.

Good Luck!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Thank you guys for your responses! I was unaware that so much clearance was required to remove the front mount/bracket. Won't 4 to 6 in of tilt break the other mounts? Do I need to loosen them all?

I think I can get to the top bracket bolts without removing the radiator. Putting them back in is another story and the radiator might need to come out it seems...

Another problem is that I can't find an engine hoist in my area - not sure what to do.

I would grab the yellow pages and call a bunch of different auto parts stores. I don't know about your neck of the woods at all but I know we have a Hertz equipment rental place just down the road that has, well everything to do anything. Or just find any equipment rental place and call them, if they do not have one maybe they know of somebody who does. Good luck.

Spence

Another problem is that I can't find an engine hoist in my area - not sure what to do.

I would not recommend this to anyone who was trying to support anything made of cast iron, but an "OK" substitue for the classic cherry picker is a 1000lb cable "come-a-long" and a stong beam in your garage or BIG limb on a tree...

Will it work? Yes. Is it cheap? Yes. Can you get one anywhere, like even Walmart? Sure. Is it safe... "kinda"

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

If its the mount I think it is...its not a 45 minute job.

You cannot access the upper mount bolt per the service manual.

The complete mount and bracket must come out.

You do not have to mess with the radiator or condensor.

YOU DO have to drop the front of the engine cradle to do.

post-3-1114316770_thumb.jpg

Well...lets clear that statement up...

You have to lower the front cradle some. Not 'drop' it.

The trick is jack up the engine.....and lower the front of the engine cradle.

Well...lets clear that statement up...

You have to lower the front cradle some. Not 'drop' it.

Another approach to get to that mount! I never lowered the cradle before - any tips?

Another approach to get to that mount! I never lowered the cradle before - any tips?

kobalt,

I replaced the front mount on my '99 STS last year.

What a B**ch!

Your best bet is to follow the book.

I listened to someone who said he didn't romve the radiator,

just jacked the engine...

It took me all day... should have followed the book!

The front mount has to have it's bottom stud cut with a saws-all,

even though the engine is jacked up against the firewall!

Forget it... Simple if you follow the instructions.

The radiator is simple to remove if you follow those instructions.

good luck!

ps, if you can do it in 45 minutes you must be a mechanic godddddd!

Well the 'book' has you access the top of the engine mount bolt in between the mount and the exhaust manifold. It cant be done. The whole mount and Y bracket need to come out.

I can understand about the clearance of the lower mount stud. You can jack the engine up all the way and it still wont clear.

That being said....if you remove the front engine cradle bolts and drop the front of the craddle some.....wola.....clearance to get the stud out....and get the mount and Y bracket out.

Well the 'book' has you access the top of the engine mount bolt in between the mount and the exhaust manifold. It cant be done. The whole mount and Y bracket need to come out.

I can understand about the clearance of the lower mount stud. You can jack the engine up all the way and it still wont clear.

That being said....if you remove the front engine cradle bolts and drop the front of the craddle some.....wola.....clearance to get the stud out....and get the mount and Y bracket out.

Well Said Logan! :o

Archived