CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New to board, few questions..

Hi all, new to board. I recently acquired a 1997 Deville Concours with 31K miles. Its been well kept over the years. I have some plans to keep it mostly as is, with just some minor upgrades.

I was hoping to add a remote start (dont really care for a "security system" more trouble than they are worth) but possibly like to upgrade sound system as well. I have read about the issues on the sound system, but no real info on the remote start.

Searches didnt lead far..

Anyone have good experience to share?

Welcome to CaddyInfo forum.

My very honest opinion on the Remote start. 

I have installed tons over time, But I have never installed one in one of these. I have driven these for 12 years now without one.

Reason why I will not install one is because every one I ran into that had one had gremlins. End result ended up being related to the Remote starter.

If you do install one I recommend just a basic 1 button unit that has minimal connections to do the job. will need a VATS bypass unless it is already bypassed

In defense of these Caddys in all my experience, they heat up very quick and efficiently, and if your heated seats work (if equipped) your behind will be warm before you get around the block.

They are also very well insulated from the outside environment which means they stay warm better and have very little if any road noise.

As for the sound system, I assume you have the Bose System. I love mine. If it is you will have the 11 speaker, 2 woofer, Active audio, And DSP. 

What are you looking to improve on? would vary as to my answer on the audio upgrade

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

On 2/16/2021 at 10:32 PM, rockfangd said:

Welcome to CaddyInfo forum.

My very honest opinion on the Remote start. 

I have installed tons over time, But I have never installed one in one of these. I have driven these for 12 years now without one.

Reason why I will not install one is because every one I ran into that had one had gremlins. End result ended up being related to the Remote starter.

If you do install one I recommend just a basic 1 button unit that has minimal connections to do the job. will need a VATS bypass unless it is already bypassed

In defense of these Caddys in all my experience, they heat up very quick and efficiently, and if your heated seats work (if equipped) your behind will be warm before you get around the block.

They are also very well insulated from the outside environment which means they stay warm better and have very little if any road noise.

As for the sound system, I assume you have the Bose System. I love mine. If it is you will have the 11 speaker, 2 woofer, Active audio, And DSP. 

What are you looking to improve on? would vary as to my answer on the audio upgrade

Thanks for the reply. I have done a few remotes myself over the years. Its just something I got accustomed to and like to have on my cars. That being said, the electrical crap in this car is maybe only surpassed by Lincoln, LOL..

I figured I would try a basic setup. I don't need an alarm or starter cut out. Most of the "legit" remotes seem to be made or sold by the same company anyway (Directed Electronics.) I'm not a fan of flea-bay bargain brand stuff, so hoping a "better" brand will help!

Stereo-wise, I do NOT have the BOSE.. so I have been toying with just leaving the head unit in place and running new wires to upgraded speakers and use my phone or a tablet as the head unit to a blue tooth amplifier... 

I am surprised it is a Concours without Bose. Is it floor or column shift? Concours should be floor shift.

I have had great luck with the Audiovox units over the years. Done many, little to no comebacks 

GM FAN FOREVER

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 9:36 PM, rockfangd said:

I am surprised it is a Concours without Bose. Is it floor or column shift? Concours should be floor shift.

I have had great luck with the Audiovox units over the years. Done many, little to no comebacks 

Yep, Concours floor shift, no Bose... But I do have the cd changer in the trunk... Lol

that was 50/50 across the board. I have seen base models with them, high models without them. All of this era were prewired. 96 was the only year iirc that was not. I wired mine back when and swapped a 97 HU. Worked fine

GM FAN FOREVER