CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacing spark plugs

Im replacing the spark plugs in my 94 STS and was wondering how to go about doing this and what kind is best to get I know absoulutly nothing about this so if someone can explain that would be great.

Thanks

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

A/C Delco 91-450. Pull the plug wires off (pull on the tab on the boot, NOT the wire and twist as you pull). Remove the old plug with a spark plug socket and a 6" extension. Check and adjust the gap on the new plug as necessary. Then screw them in and replace the plug wire. Start them back in slowly so as not to cross thread them. If it feels tight starting, back it out and start again. Put a little dielectric grease on the inside of the boot to ease in reinstalling and later removal. A cotton swab works good for this.

A/C Delco 91-450. Pull the plug wires off (pull on the tab on the boot, NOT the wire and twist as you pull). Remove the old plug with a spark plug socket and a 6" extension. Check and adjust the gap on the new plug as necessary. Then screw them in and replace the plug wire. Start them back in slowly so as not to cross thread them. If it feels tight starting, back it out and start again.  Put a little dielectric grease on the inside of the boot to ease in reinstalling and later removal. A cotton swab works good for this.

Larry, I have always added the dielectric grease on the inside of the boot myself, but the other day I was doing a little bathroom reading of my service manual, and found this! I did not know that the boots were greased for their lifetime!

Needless to say, I will not use the dielectric grease going forward, look at all of these old habits I have to break!! :blink: Mike

post-3-1113527059_thumb.jpg

That may be Mike, but I am still gonna grease them. What else am I gonna do with that can of dielectric grease I bought. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I was shocked when I read that in the manual! Hey save it for your bulb sockets! :lol:

That may be Mike, but I am still gonna grease them. What else am I gonna do with that can of dielectric grease I bought.  :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I was shocked when I read that in the manual! Hey save it for your bulb sockets! :lol:

Might also work well as a KY substitute. :o

That may be Mike, but I am still gonna grease them. What else am I gonna do with that can of dielectric grease I bought.  :lol:

You bet! And anytime you have to pull apart a chassis connector, fill the cavity before you plug them together. Keeps moisture out.

Chicken soup for electrical connections.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I fill the cavity in any connector that is exposed to the elements. The rubber can look OK but deteriorate with age and thermal cycling.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

That's a good idea the use the dielectric grease on the connectors It does deter water. However it can also hold water. I have many connectors filled with water and cause all kinds of BS problems. Usually these connector problems crop up after a washing of the engine stuff like that where the water just fills any void it can find on the connector So when using the dielectric fill the voids cavities up on the connector with the grease so water can't get in..

Jim

Archived