CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

STS lighting project

STS Scott

Wow, things certainly changed around here! This is my first post on the new board.

Anyway,

I am starting to tackle a lighting project for my STS, and would just like to share it with everone else. If all goes well, it should add some class (as if the car already does not have enough!) and flair to my Caddy, and maybe somebody will choose to do the same to theirs!

The idea I had was an LED replacement bulb, that would go in the place of the regular 1157 (dual wattage) lightbulbs around the car, just like transports are replacing their little round lights with LEDs. Sure enough, some internet research led me to several manufacturers of these little light bulbs. The one I'm chosing can be found here: (its the one called "Matrix"). The only thing is that I will have to add load resistors, since LEDs use 30 times less power than a regular bulb, and that would confuse the turn signal unit.:

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm .

These Matrix bulbs are the only ones I came across that aim some LEDs backwards, so that the light will reflect of of the inside of the tail light.

It won't be as intense as the Deville's tail lights in the end, but the LEDs will be more striking than the "slow" regular bulbs.

The other mod. to the lights I plan to do is the addition of a sequential turn signal unit, that will make the turn signals pan out to the sides of the car, instead of just flashing (Remember the T-birds and Cougars of the sixties?) I am puchasing this unit from www.webelectricproducts.com . This should look pretty cool with the LEDs in place, but we'll see how it all works out.

What do you guys think of this project? I hope it makes my STS stand out! After all, we could all use something eye catching in boring stop and go traffic.

Thanks for any input!

Scott

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Sounds interesting. Hopefully you will post detailed notes so that others can follow. Good luck as you go.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived