CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Abs pump won't shut off and killing battery

I have a 1997 cadillac deville. Not sure if base or not. Only badge is deville.

recently battery died on car after sitting for a couple days. Replaced with a new battery and figured problem solved. Next morning battery is flat again. Jump start car and drive around with no issue. Park it and in morning battery dead again. Jump start car and drive for a but but this time disconnect ground to make sure battery is holding charge. After couple hour voltage same with battery disconnected. But as soon as I connect the ground i notice a light clicking sound from the abs pump again. Key is off and in my pocket so not sure why abs pump is running. So start it up run for a few minutes pump brakes just in case and turn off car and notice clicking still happening with car off.  After about an hour later I check voltage with multimeter can see voltage is 8.7 and slowly counting down with car off and no lights or accessories on. Disconnect ground and now multimeter reads 12.1. So something is definitely pulling allot of power. Connect battery and try to start it up and not enough juice to start, almost starts before starter starts to click from lack of power. So for now have negative disconnected and on battery charger overnight. 

So tried to find anything online for a starting point and best I can find is maybe a stuck relay. What I cannot find is where it is. Have back seat off and am sure it is there but not sure which of the 10 or so there it maybe. Rather not spend a ton on fuses if they are ok or maybe not even the issue.

I was hoping to take the car for a short road trip this 4th but don't want to have to worry about jumping car each morning or disconnecting battery each time i turn it off.

I wouldn't mind just disconnecting abs if I thought might stop killing battery. Not a stranger to vehicles without ABS so that doesn't scare me. But don't want to create another potential problem either if it involves cutting or removing something. Of course I want to fix it correctly but for now need to resolve it holding  the charge so can hopefully take it this weekend. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm not a mechanic by any means but far from clueless so don't mind the work.

If you are certain it is the ABS pump then you could try pulling the maxifuse. It should be located under the black cover at the driver side strut tower.

Just be sure to relocate the cruise cable that is attached to it.

The fuse reference is under that black cover.

I am thinking the problem is internal to the EBTCM as there is no external relays for it

Welcome to CaddyInfo

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

2 hours ago, rockfangd said:

If you are certain it is the ABS pump then you could try pulling the maxifuse. It should be located under the black cover at the driver side strut tower.

Just be sure to relocate the cruise cable that is attached to it.

The fuse reference is under that black cover.

I am thinking the problem is internal to the EBTCM as there is no external relays for it

Welcome to CaddyInfo

Thanks! I am almost certain it is abs pump. It is definitely coming from drivers side and when I put my hand on the top of pump I can feel it when it clicks. Gonna try that now. 

On a potentially unrelated issue was noticing last night the dash was showing what gear it was in. Thought that was odd since key was off and out. After pulling the maxifuse for brakes noticed it was not showing now unless key was on. Hmm...

Edited by Locosiete
add info