CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Steering?

Bob_Caddy

Hi! The last few days I have noticed that my caddy has been steering to the right ever so slightly. I was just checking to make sure this isn't going to turn into a major problem like some stuf does on these cars. If so what would it be or do I simply just have to get my wheels balanced or whatever? I am new to owning a used car and never really payed much attention to the maintenance of my previous cars. I just changed the coolant last week. Thanks for you input!

I have had the car for a few months so it would have to be at least 4 months since. Is that the only possible problem because I will probably take it in tomorrow for re-alignment.

Make sure that your air pressure is at spec front and rear....a low tire will cause a slight pull

One more thing, realize that the crown of the road can cause you to drift left when you are on the left and drift right when you are on the right.... Try driving in the right lane and see if it still pulls left....

The caliper slides on pins that are greased and sealed by rubber boots. If the pins dry out and rust, brake pressure will not be released when the brake pedal is released. Somewhat like a ratchet mechanism.

The caliper slides on pins that are greased and sealed by rubber boots. If the pins dry out and rust, brake pressure will not be released when the brake pedal is released. Somewhat like a ratchet mechanism.

What would have to be done to fix a problem such as that?

What would have to be done to fix a problem such as that?

After you drive a while tomorrow stick your nose in your wheel well on the left front and smell, if you smell a burning, asbestos smell its an indication that your caliper froze "ON"...meaning that its partially braking and not releasing, if that is happening a front brake job with special attention to the sliders is required...

Some shops will try to sell you a new caliper, but from my experience its the sliders and the fact that your brake cylinder is way out too far from brake pad wear, simply replacing the pads, resurfacing the rotor (I always do), and cleaning the slider pins (and replacing the rubber slider bushings) does the trick. Mike

How much would you estimate that cost? I hope it is just the alignment.

Bob I am bad at estimating cost as I do my own work, it depends how much your mechanic wants or needs to replace, ie caliper, rotor, bushing slider kit, etc. Mike

Maybe someone else has had a brake job done recently

PS, you still need to determine what the problem is, if this problem all of a sudden happened, and you don't recall hitting any major pot holes, curbs, etc, it may be the caliper, smell it for burning and excess heat

Depends on where you have it done but you can usually find a brake job on sale at Midas or such for bout as much as an alignment (I think). I always do my own so I am not real familiar with prices. Shop around.

How much would you estimate that cost?  I hope it is just the alignment.

Bob I am bad at estimating cost as I do my own work, it depends how much your mechanic wants or needs to replace, ie caliper, rotor, bushing slider kit, etc. Mike

Maybe someone else has had a brake job done recently

PS, you still need to determine what the problem is, if this problem all of a sudden happened, and you don't recall hitting any major pot holes, curbs, etc, it may be the caliper, smell it for burning and excess heat

I do remember hitting several potholes a little while back.Pot holes are literally unavoidable where I reside! I would like to mention that my rear right tire is showing more wear that the other three. And there seems to be less tread on the right side of the tire. I dont know if that means anything to you guys but it is just something that seems relevent. Thanks Alot :)

If your rear tire has excessive wear on the outside edge it would indicate right rear wheel is cambered out. If it has been rotated recently then another wheel may have too much +camber. Sounds like an alignment may be in order. BTW, a rear wheel toed in or out can also cause drift in one direction or another.

If your rear tire has excessive wear on the outside edge it would indicate right rear wheel is cambered out. If it has been rotated recently then another wheel may have too much +camber. Sounds like an alignment may be in order. BTW, a rear wheel toed in or out can also cause drift in one direction or another.

Thanks! What do you mean by cambered out? And Also what is a rear wheel toed? Sorry if these questions sound dumb but I am just a biginner at this kind of stuff! So you are thinking an alignment will solve this problem.

Thanks! What do you mean by cambered out? And Also what is a rear wheel toed? Sorry if these questions sound dumb but I am just a biginner at this kind of stuff! So you are thinking an alignment will solve this problem.

Your car requires a four wheel alignment, the rear being out of alignment can cause your car to pull and dog track...the rear if I am not mistaken has toe-in, caster and camber adjustments if they are off they can contribute to the problem you are having

Camber is the virtical orientation of the wheel. If it is "leaning" outboard, it is +camber. If it is "leaning" inboard, it is -camber. Toe is the direction that the leading edge of the tire is pointing. That is toed out or toed in. If you imagine this in your minds eye and exagerate it a bit, you can imagine the wear it can cause on your tires and the effect it can have on steering.

If your tires are old, or hitting pot holes, then you could have belt starting to separate.

This will also cause a steering pull in one direction.

To check for this condition you can swap the front tires from one side to the other.

If it's the tires, then the pull will then be in the opposite direction.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Archived