CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help - Possible short in steering column

MAC

Today, I was coming home and noticed a smell of something burning. I though it might be my transmission after I down shifted to 2nd and stepped on it, however, I don't believe I red-lined. Shortly thereafter, I noticed the smell. Eventually, I noticed thin wisps of white smoke coming from underneath the steering column cover behind the steering wheel. I felt the plastic cover to see if I could pin point where the trouble might be. The cover is warmer underneath the ignition key area but nothing real obvious. I'm not sure if the problem is related to the constant voltage fluctuation since I replaced the alternator (brand new/not rebuilt). Sometimes when I start the car I get the Battery No Charge readout. So I shut the car and restart several times and sure enough eventually what ever was causing the problem is somehow solved and the voltage readout increases incrementally to acceptable levels. However, my voltage is constantly fluctuating, usually in the 12.1 to 15.3 range and, from time-to-time, goes as high as 15.5 and as low as 11.7. The 15.3+ seems to be too high? And obviously 11.7 is too low. Sometimes my headlights lightly flicker rapidly then the problem goes away. My previous alternator would read about 13.3 give or take a couple of volts. Is it possible the voltage regulator or alternator is causing electrical problems, or is it most likely something in the steering column? The biggest headache is if I have to take the column cover off, which seem inevitable.

I would appreciate any assistance,

Mike

I have never experience this personaly but have heard it said on this board that it is just grease burning off and nothing to be concerned about. I'm sure someone who has had the experience will elaborate.

A while back, I had my aunts Eldo. I was washing it for her. Moved it in the driveway and the steering wheel started to smoke. Scared the crap out of me. I thought the airbag was going to blow. I jumped out screaming. Called my service writer and he started laughing at me. He said it was just some excess grease burning off the turn signal thingy. Anyway, got back in the car and started it up. No more smoke. Washed it, gave it back to my aunt and haven't had the guts to get in that car again. LOL

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

Larry & Jeff

Thank you for your input. I can only hope that the only problem is a little bit of grease. Jeff, I had to laugh at your reluctance to get back in your aunt's Eldorado. I catch your meanin. At any rate, I think I'm going back to Pep Boys (or should I say Junk Boys) and replace the alternator. Clearly, something is not right there. It seems that every alternator I buy at Pep Boys has a problem. My previous car was an 88 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, for which I also bought an alternator at Pep Boys. When that one went bad I brought it back for an exchange. The punch line is that a replacement was only found after two (2) of the alternators were found to be defective right out of the box. Luckily, the third worked.

Mike

Larry & Jeff

Thank you for your input. I can only hope that the only problem is a little bit of grease. Jeff, I had to laugh at your reluctance to get back in your aunt's Eldorado. I catch your meanin. At any rate, I think I'm going back to Pep Boys (or should I say Junk Boys) and replace the alternator. Clearly, something is not right there. It seems that every alternator I buy at Pep Boys has a problem. My previous car was an 88 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, for which I also bought an alternator at Pep Boys. When that one went bad I brought it back for an exchange. The punch line is that a replacement was only found after two (2) of the alternators were found to be defective right out of the box. Luckily, the third worked.

Mike

Someone one this board (Jason I think) had just replaced his alternator with an aftermarket one. Still had a no charge indication. Replaced it with a new Delco and all was well. Turns out the Delco has some curcuitry that the aftermarkets don't so the PCM doesn't "see" the aftermarket alternator. Just food for thought.

Gentleman:

It looks like your right about grease burning off. Today, no problems. WOW, bad experience! Might need counseling after this one. All I could picture is standing on the side of the road while my Eldo goes up in smoke. Perhaps its time to buy a car fire extinguisher. Larry, thanks for the heads-up about aftermarket alternators. That might explain my situation regarding problems recognizing voltage on start-up and why there is constant voltage fluctuation. I’m going to investigate.

Mike

If you go to the home page here and open the searchable archives, there is a bit of info there on this subject. It pretty much agrees with this string. Here's an excerpt:

>"This is a common problem in all GM

switches, and is usually wrongly diagnoses as a defective switch.

The lubricating grease comes in contact with th switch contacts

and creates a resistance and therefore heat. The smoke is the

result. It can be left alone, but if it persists, then the switch

should be exposed and cleaned."<

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Archived