CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Would a Eldorado front end fit on an STS?

I have always wondered if a Eldorado clip (hood, fenders, headlights, etc) would work on a STS. I've seen a guy in town that has a Chevy Cavalier with a Sunfire clip on the front. Not that I need to know, just curious :blink: .

Spence

The two cars are completely different (even if they look somewhat similar).

One major difference I've noticed is that the Eldorado grille is attached to the hood and lifts out of the way along with the hood. The Seville grill is fixed to the bodywork of the car and remains in place when the hood is opened. This difference indicates that the structural design of the two front surrounds are completely different.

Another difference is that the Seville's battery is mounted under the rear seat (correct me if I'm wrong) while the Eldo's is located in the right fenter just behind the headlight. This is another indication that the sub-structure of the two front ends are quite different.

The doors, while not part of the front surround, also differ in that the Seville's door sheet metal frames the entire window perimeter while the Eldorado's windows project upward from the top of the door like the windows on a convertible.

You would think the two cars would be two and four door versions of the same body but, in fact, they are entirely different cars that share drive trains, some interior assemblies and, before 1998, suspension systems. (In 1998, the Seville got a whole new frame and suspension while the slower selling Eldorado did not.)

If you want to put an Eldorado front surround on a Seville, anything's possible but it won't be just a matter of swapping parts.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Correct me if I'm wrong Poobah, but you did say that the Seville's battery is mounted underneath the rear seat, right? Pop the hood of that 94 of yours and guess what? That is where the battery is at. Were you referring to the new STS? Older generations of the Seville and Eldo are the same platform. On a side note I have seen a Chevy 1500 pickup with the first generation Escalade front end on it.

The battery in my '94 is in the right front fender - but my '94 is an Eldorado.

I put the "correct me if I'm wrong" disclaimer in there because I'm not 100% where the Seville's battery is. I'm pretty sure I've heard several references on this board to the Seville's battery being located under the back seat. If I'm wrong about that, I stand corrected.

I, too, have seen a Chevy pickup with an Escalade front end. It seems that conversion is a parts swapping project.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Thats crazy, I thought they were the same but apparently not. As for the Escalade, I would really like to throw the Caddy clip on my 92 Chevy but that sure would make for a lot of red coloured Cadillacs at my place...three then by my count :P .

Spence

post-3-1112462126_thumb.jpg

I, too, have seen a Chevy pickup with an Escalade front end. It seems that conversion is a parts swapping project.

A friend did it & it's a little tricky if you are not a great body man .......one fender line does not appear on the door so it would abruptly end if you just bolt on Caddy clip

The '92-'02 Eldorado and the '92-'97 Seville are very much the same car. The battery of both is located under the hood, on the passenger side. Starting in 1998, the Seville underwent major changes, and a lot of things were reconfigured. Comparing a 2000 Eldo to a 2000 Seville, you'd think the two were completely unrelated...because in fact they really are. But a 1997 Eldorado and Seville would be very very similar.

There are some sheet metal differences as noted. I'm not sure on the actual HOOD, but the front fenders are slightly different. I prefer the Eldorado's in this area. The edge of the fender actually raises up just above the hoodline, whereas the Seville's flows down the side of the car (like most cars do). The Eldorado's front fender gives a bit more flair I think.

I don't know if the front clips are interchangeable. I would almost think they are, as the platform and chassi between the two are the same. But if you could interchange them, you'd have to do the WHOLE clip. I understand the Eldorado grille isn't the same dimensions as the Seville grille for instance. So if you were to swap, I think you'd have to go the whole way.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived