CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tell us a story...

CadiKing

What's the wildest story of someone getting ripped off while buying a car!

I'll begin...

Mechanic buys a traded in 1970 Mach 1 from his employer, who took

the car in trade. It has a big miss in it...other than that it is a nice car!

He figures it might be electrical, maybe it sucked a valve.

Zero compression..

Pulls the pan.

No connecting rod, no piston for one cylinder.

The block was trashed inside, bearings junk..

Round chunk of pine in the cylinder turned on a lathe!

LOL :lol:

Round chunk of pine in the cylinder turned on a lathe!

LOL :lol:

That is crazy! :o I have never thought about all the crap that dealers (or subsequent buyers) must discover on some of those trade ins!

Personally my worst deal came on a 73 Monte Carlo I bought years ago (In my defense I was hurting for wheels, and rushed the deal) I never took it out on the highway (last time I ever did that!). First sign of bad things to come... I ran out of gas trying to get back to the guys house once I discovered it had a locking gas cap and I didn't get the key! :angry:

The next day, I finally got a hold of him. He seemed rather nervous, and I was soon to find out why. I gassed her up and took her out on the open road. This is where I discovered it didn't shift into drive! Well, I was up to about 60mph or so in 2nd fiddling around with the shifter thinking the cable could be stretched or something... I looked behind me and I see this huge plume of smoke (James Bond 007 type) masking the rest of traffic for a quick get away! I pulled off on the next ramp, and see the oil light come on. I shut it down and opened the hood. The entire engine compartment looked like it had just been bathed in 10W-30! It had blow-by so bad it had completely emptied the oil-pan! Incredible!! (actually those weren't the words I used at that particular time)

I traded it in at a dealer a few weeks later. I had pressure washed the engine bay, and it was sparkling clean just like the day i bought it. I was surprised they gave me $700 on trade towards a $3,200 Volkswagen. Especially considering that trans had no reverse by that time! :rolleyes:

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

sprucegoose,

Great story.

Live and learn.

Yup, that is exactly what I thought as I was typing it Jim... Man, did that ever teach me a lesson, be very thorough and ceck out the car at all speeds and conditions wherever possible! I think I was 19 at that time, and I probably have bought about 30 cars since then. Hope someone else can avoid my mistake by reading it! :rolleyes:

Come on guys, there has got to be some good stories out there... This is a great topic! :P

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Archived