CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Changing wheels and tires

Bronson

I'm thinking of changing wheels and tires, something to a more current look. Does anyone know what would be the largest tire that would clear on a 18 inch rim? Tire Rack and a few others recommend a 245x45 on an 18 inch rim, would a 255 clear? Should I look for 255x40 instead of the 45 series tire? I know that a 255 will clear on a 16 inch rim is there any difference?

sebring06RTP.jpg

I think I've posted this link here before once, but here it is again anyway...

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

It's kind of basic, but a fairly useful tire size calculator to compare difference sizes and see the results of your speedo error...

I may be still livin' in the 70's, but there is something about a car that is low, wide, with big meats stuffed in the wheel-wells! A friend of mine just bought a 74 Firebird that has 18's with huge 40 series tires on it and it looks awesome! :P Keep in mind your wheel dish offset plays a big part in your clearance as well. Good luck! ;)

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

I grew up during the 70's and agree, low, wide, and lotts of rubber has always been way more better than good in my book.

I'm faced with a little delima though, I've been trying to decide between keeping the STS or looking for something different. I think, and my wife is hoping, that changing the rims and tires will bring new life to my perception of the STS. There is nothing wrong with the car, it runs great, everything works. Went to Sebring a couple of weeks ago, drove up Friday night 110 / 120 mph at times and got 18.5 + mpg, don't know how you can beat that. Did burn some gas and had to fill up in Lake Placid, paid 2.58 a gal but don't care, had a great time.

18's with 255x 40's I'm lookin for, sure I can find some wheels I like but it's the stance that I care the most about, low, wide, with lots of rubber....

sebring06RTP.jpg

I was born in the eighties, but it still sounds like a mouth watering set up to me!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Here's a pic of my friends 74 Bird. Now that is an awesome footprint! B) He say's the thing runs thru corners like it is on rails, and I believe him. It has a new Global West Suspension system under it with all polly bushings. In looking over the specs, those are 17" Torque Thrust wheels... 11" wide on back 9.5 wide up front. Couple this a 4 speed trans, with a ton of mods to the 455 ci. motor and you have a handfull of fun! :D

post-3-1112379353_thumb.jpg

'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

love that rear-tread look! ;)

post-3-1112379452_thumb.jpg

Yup, in looking at Paul's new ride and having this conversation I have decided to go much wiser than stock on my Formula too... I had picked up some 15x8 RallyII wheels and planned on resoring them and shoeing them with the widest 15's I could fit. I may still do that just to get it on the road, but I'm going to look into something comperable to his 17's with 40 series tires. I'll need it to be able to hook up the 400+ HP to the blacktop with the motor I've built! B) (OK, I'm going out to hug that motor on the engine stand now!) :D:P

Here is another wide-a$$ Poncho that I'm in love with! Not quite as radical, but definitely a wider-than-stock look. I believe those are aftermarket 15x10" RallyII's. I originally was going to paint my car this same color, but my wife talked me into Buckaneer Red with white stripes like my 73 was.

post-3-1112403943_thumb.jpg

Funny that we're talk'in about Pontiacs, just test drove a 02 WS6 Ram Air T/A. Was thinking of trading in the old Caddy, their trying to get the numbers right, it's a certified used car with 51K. Thinking the miles are a little high but if I did purchase I would plan on keeping the car.

sebring06RTP.jpg

Ahhh yes, WS6 RA T/A, very nice car. :rolleyes: That ride has some punch I bet with that 325hp LS1! :P Is it a 6spd or auto? That WS6 RA package comes with the 275/40ZR17 tires doesn't it? With the Firebirds now extinct, I would think they will hold their value pretty good.

Well, for sure that is a different style of car than the 96 STS. Handling is the big factor, but you do suffer in ride quality I'll bet. Not to mention there isn't much of a back seat. We really never used any of our T/A's or Firebirds as daily drivers though. They are always the fun, cruising, hopping around vehicle... and yes, they do turn some heads! B)

Archived