CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I had to replace the "mode" actuator because of a stripped gear. After I replaced it, air is blowing cold and then hot out of the vents. It also switches cold and hot from side to side. I did pull the wrong actuator at first. I pulled the one to the rear of the "mode" actuator, but I put it right back on. It seems to blow out of the correct ducts, but the temperature changes dramatically without changing the temperature setting. I read that to re-calibrate the HVAC system I should disconnect the battery and short the positive and negative battery terminals together, and then run the HVAC through all the modes and temperatures manually. I did that with no changes. I also read to pull the IP fuse for 60 seconds, but didn't try that yet because it was for a different year and model. I pulled the code and come up with a B0429, which from what I understand is the auxiliary temperature door. I am thinking that is for the rear. Am I wrong about that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.  The wife is not happy about the constantly changing temperatures. Happy wife, happy home. Unhappy wife, unhappy home. :) I have seen some threads on here about similar issues, but it always talks about using a Tech2.

Thanks

Was the part oe or aftermarket?

I have had horrible luck with Aftermarket actuators. At least with Caddys. 

They just do not work right at all.

I had the same issue.

I went with oem Gm part and have had no problem since

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

2 hours ago, rockfangd said:

Was the part oe or aftermarket?

I have had horrible luck with Aftermarket actuators. At least with Caddys. 

They just do not work right at all.

I had the same issue.

I went with oem Gm part and have had no problem since

I got it from RockAuto, but the modes work fine. It is the temperature that is out of wack. It is the original. This is the second mode door actuator. The first one I removed the entire dash to replace it, this time I left the big gear assembly and just pried the actuator off the big gear. I don't ever want to pull the dash again!

Ok I am sorry I misread.

So typically I disconnect the battery

Reconnect battery.

Turn key on

Do not touch anything, Buttons, etc...

Leave key on for 1 minute. 

That is how I always did it. Not sure if that still works on your 05

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

10 minutes ago, rockfangd said:

Ok I am sorry I misread.

So typically I disconnect the battery

Reconnect battery.

Turn key on

Do not touch anything, Buttons, etc...

Leave key on for 1 minute. 

That is how I always did it. Not sure if that still works on your 05

Certainly worth a try. Thanks for the input. I have to replace the radiator this weekend, so I'll try that then. Radiator doesn't have anything to do with pulling the back seat, but I'll have the car. The wife drives it to work all week and puts 120 miles on a day, so I do what I can when I have it.

Update: I replaced the radiator and the A/C discharge hose from the compressor. Disconnected the battery for over a minute, and so far all it does is blow cold air. Heater hoses are hot. Does anybody have a diagram of which actuator does what and their location?