CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Class 2 Network Diagram for 1997 Deville - OnStar

Hello Everyone -

I'm a newbie 😎

I'm curious if anyone has either a network diagram for the Class 2 (J1850) communication network or maybe a wiring diagram for the electrical system.  I am trying to figure out if OnStar used its own cellphone connection to reach to call center, or did it use the optional embedded phone that the user could call with.  If anyone has information, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!

ta2112

First off welcome to CaddyInfo.

2nd. What are you looking to accomplish?

My next response varies greatly by that answer. 

You may already know that Communications are not going to work as anything pre 2001 the FCC made obsolete. 

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I am trying to accomplish a couple things...

1. To understand how the components on the Class 2 network were (are) connected on this vehicle.  I have heard that Cadillac, unlike other GM divisions, connected their Class 2 network in a ring (the others used a star topology).  This will help in diagnosing other issues I may encounter
  2. Just to understand if the embedded phone was also the phone OnStar used to reach the call center, or did it have its own.  This is merely curiosity.  It seems like using the same phone for both use cases would have led to potentially unsafe condition (for instance, if the airbag went off while the driver was on the phone, OnStar couldn't call 911). 

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

ta2112

I wish I could answer the phone part but I believe that was the first year for the ONStar, and a few years later it was unusable thanks to the FCC. I would assume it uses the phone, likely hands free but the details are vague.

The data system is a high speed feed and return to each module. Easier explained by the diagram.

I hope the link works as I am not that great with moving them

data.pdf

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile