CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Center cap

The center caps on my 94 STS are turning yellow and I was wondering if there is a way to fix this without buying new ones? If I do have to buy new ones anyone have some for sale that haven't turned yellow? :lol: Thanks for the help its just that the dealer wants so much for just a peice of plastic I was wondering if theres another solution?

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

You and I have the same wheels i believe. Take the center caps off and clean them up a bit with a damp cloth and dry them. Apply a few light coats of Dupli°Color (T191 Ultra Silver) using side to side motion. It was a perfect match on mine. This particular paint dried to the touch in 30 seconds (75°F outside temp) after every 3 passes (3 passes = 1 application). I applied 3 applications and they still look great after 3 years.

I had to redo one center cap after the first year because it peeled. It was my test cap and I applied the coats a little too heavily. I bought the spray can of Dupli°Color 3 years ago and they may have changed the packaging since then. Below is a pic of the can. You'll note that it says for Truck, Van, & SUV...... just ignore that part. ;)

frontside.jpg

rear.jpg

post-3-1110810282_thumb.jpg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

You and I have the same wheels i believe. Take the center caps off and clean them up a bit with a damp cloth and dry them. Apply a few light coats of Dupli°Color (T191 Ultra Silver) using side to side motion. It was a perfect match on mine. This particular paint dried to the touch in 30 seconds (75°F outside temp) after every 3 passes (3 passes = 1 application). I applied 3 applications and they still look great after 3 years.

I had to redo one center cap after the first year because it peeled. It was my test cap and I applied the coats a little too heavily. I bought the spray can of Dupli°Color 3 years ago and they may have changed the packaging since then. Below is a pic of the can. You'll note that it says for Truck, Van, & SUV...... just ignore that part. ;)

frontside.jpg

rear.jpg

so kger2,

would i be able to do my entire wheel with this stuff? guess it would take quite a few cans.

so kger2,

would i be able to do my entire wheel with this stuff? guess it would take quite a few cans.

I suppose you could do the entire wheel. That's one way to ensure a proper color match :lol: . I have a few pit marks on the edges of the rim. Perhaps I'll spray a little bit on a Q-Tip and dab them this year.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I've tried painting wheels in the past and it always, at least for me, sucked after a couple car washes and pressure washers them. What I use on my wheels is Autosol. It's a kick *smurf* metal polish, but it works on everything. I get mine from Bumber to Bumper, it't about $6 for a tube, or $40 for a pretty fair sized tub.

Spence

• 3 weeks later...

frontside.jpg

rear.jpg

So is t191 ultra silver the exact color? I will try painting my caps sometime this weekend. Any Idea how much a can costs? Thanks.

Dupli°Color (T191 Ultra Silver) looks good. It's similar to the results I obtained with the Plasti-Kote 5330. If anyone's interested I can post a picture for comparison.

I'll try to post one tomorrow. Unfortunately, the weather here in New Jersey is supposed to be rainy with possible flooding. So, I might not be able to get a good picture tomorrow.

Like I said, the Dupli°Color (T191 Ultra Silver) is a perfect match. Matched the silver flecking on the rims even. Now if your rims are a little stained or dirty then they won't match up. I cleaned my rims so they looked close to new and the dupli-color matched. No clear coat or anything else was used. 3rd year with the original application. Not bad for a can of spray that cost under $4 (3 years ago). I'm sure there are other brands that will match up as well or at least close. I just haven't found one that matched the silver flecking like the dupli-color I have. Good luck.

"Burns" rubber

I have a spare rim and tire that I pulled from a 93 sts and it is in pretty hard condition how easy would it be to paint the whole wheel? How would that turn out? I was also wondering because one of my wheels had a little bit of curb damage. it is ugly and it covers a good portion rim. Kger2, what is flecking?

Archived