CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

BUSTED!

95SLS

Last year you might recall that I put tint on dispite my reservations.

Well, today Mr Ohio State Trooper informed me it was Illegal. Had meters charts and a good sales pitch. Being the good customer I am I quickly asulted the window tint and drove away with a yellow warning slip and not a $175. ticket! Looks cool, but not that cool!

You have to be at like 50% in Ohio I had 35% on and with the factory solar Ray, It brought ot down to 27% Way below legal! The guyys that installed the tint just swore up and down that I would never be stopped. So I called them, and they said yea! "We'll take it off for the same amout we put it on for! Gladly! In Fact we TAKE OFF MORE than we put on!" Yea well no Crap! I told them it looked illegal when they put it on. The only statement I said was I want it to be legal.

So I am back to Fac. If I were you, I would make sure to measure with the same meter they use when you install becasue that's what the write the ticket with.

MC

Good call. And if they won't sign something verifying its legality -- and their liability if you get stopped for it, I'd go to a different shop. There should be SOMEONE around there who will certify their work!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

ahh, I remember the 2 WEEKS I had my windows tinted haha

I got pulled over 3 times in two days. All let me off with a warning.. However, I deserved it. It was ridiculously illegal, not to mention dangerous. In a way, I'm glad it had to be taken off. It was unsafe.

Cost:

$220 - put it on

$40 - take it off

Then, come to find out, they have stuff called 'Tint-Off' you can buy at Wal-Mart for $4.95

Dah well.. live and learn

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

Below is a link to window tint laws for the US and Canada.

http://www.gilafilms.com/auto/car_tint_laws.html

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

There may be more to the decision to tint, than the ticket or your visibilty.

The Cops have a tough enough job approaching a vehicle on a traffic stop. How would you feel if you were a Cop and had to deal with tinted windows?

What I am trying to the group of "spirited drivers" on this board, is that one should be very careful to have every advantage to NOT get a ticket if stopped.

Wear a seat belt, pay attention to the traffic, pull over properly, etc - all help with the Cops attitude. Remember, they really are a judge and jury of sorts.

Window tint, no thanks don't need the hassle!

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I understand about the cops needing to see you on a traffic stop.. So, it doesnt make sense to me when there is NO restriction to the back window [atleast in NY] You can have that as black as you want, and it is still legal!

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

Up here in northern Cailfornia, I've got 13% on my back window and doors ,and 50% on the front door windows. I have this combination on a few of my cars. I also have friends and aquaintances in both the Sherriffs and CHP's. I get nothing but compliments from those guys...Had this setup for years, not been pulled over once, in any of my cars.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Here in Michigan it is illegal to have tint on the front windows anymore then 4" down from the top. Kinda the rule of thumb here is if they can see you seat belt, you are ok. If they can not, you would get one or two $80 tickets a year...Until I realized that I could peel my tint, get the ticket signed, and only pay $40 to get them retinted...then realized that you could sign your own ticket with whaterver police name and whatever police dept(I am not suggesting that). Anyway, it has been a few years since then, but when I would get pulled over, I would drop all four windows before the officer walked up so that he could see into the vehicle. I can't really blame them...With all the wack jobs drivin around firing at the police, they don't know what to expect from a vehicle that they can not see into.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Does anyone know what is requirred to remove tint from windows without going to a shop and pay? Is it difficult or just time consuming? My girlfriends car has tinted windows but it is a poor job, bubbling on back window. So how can i remove it myself.

Removing tint is not that hard. Just find where it starts and with a razor peal it back, grab on and pull it all off. Step 2. Use WD40 (Same as what is in goo gone) and spray it down and let it sit a bit, now take the razor and remove the glue. You won't mess up the glass Chill! Spay the window with a citrus cleaner (Cheap at Dollar stores) and razor it again, then clean the window with a good window cleaner, inspect your work and razor away any parts you missed. Clean the gasket with dry towels to prevent streeks.

When doing windows with rear defogers, it's a long process to miss the wires on the surface , if you bust one you have to fix it. It's best to use the WD 40 there and lots of elbow grease. Several times.

Do one window at a time so you can quit and come back if you get sick of doing it.

MC

Archived