CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bad starter????

tekfx19

Glad it worked out!

I was browsing the forums this morning because I had the same problem and didnt think it was the starter.....I think it was you that said to spray wd40 in the switch....thinking well, dont have anything to really loss I went for it and drove my car home!! the car started and starts perfectly again.

THanx for your help, you saved me around $600 at the dealer only cost about .10 worth of WD40 :D

Glad it worked out!

I was browsing the forums this morning because I had the same problem and didnt think it was the starter.....I think it was you that said to spray wd40 in the switch....thinking well, dont have anything to really loss I went for it and drove my car home!! the car started and starts perfectly again.

THanx for your help, you saved me around $600 at the dealer only cost about .10 worth of WD40 :D

Oh, Oh, if you can find that thread, I would like to see it. First I am pretty sure that I would not recommend spraying WD40 into the ignition switch, as I would NEVER do that myself. The only thing I would do it spray the KEY and try to transfer some from the key to the contacts in the switch..

Secondly, the problem described above is NOT related to the switch your problem is totally different than this individual who replaced his starter and cleaned his battery connections.. Your problem involves the security system and the resistor on your key NOT making a good connection with the contacts in your switch...

That said, I am glad you got it going, just don't SPRAY WD40 in your ignition switch again, I wouldn't want you to cause other problems. :blink: Mike

PS, I see you are from Waco, Texas, I will tell you a little story, in 1964 my parents were working at air force bases throughout the mid-west and we were driving through the night and got a flat. We pulled off on to the shoulder and my dad jacked up the car and when he got it up found that the spare was flat (great dad). I was kneeling in the front seat looking out the back window. All of a sudden, a car came down the shoulder right at us, flying, my dad was waving him away, he must have thought we were in the lane, and at the last minute, veered off so close that we fell off the jack, we were in a white 1955 Fleetwood (see this story is Cadillac related). Freaked out, we got out and walked to the next exit and it was a little town called Eddy, Texas, not far from Waco, because I remember we bought 4 tires in Waco the next day.... That is my memory of Waco and Eddy.

Glad it worked out!

Oh, Oh, if you can find that thread, I would like to see it. First I am pretty sure that I would not recommend spraying WD40 into the ignition switch, as I would NEVER do that myself. The only thing I would do it spray the KEY and try to transfer some from the key to the contacts in the switch..

Secondly, the problem described above is NOT related to the switch your problem is totally different than this individual who replaced his starter and cleaned his battery connections.. Your problem involves the security system and the resistor on your key NOT making a good connection with the contacts in your switch...

That said, I am glad you got it going, just don't SPRAY WD40 in your ignition switch again, I wouldn't want you to cause other problems. :blink: Mike

PS, I see you are from Waco, Texas, I will tell you a little story, in 1964 my parents were working at air force bases throughout the mid-west and we were driving through the night and got a flat. We pulled off on to the shoulder and my dad jacked up the car and when he got it up found that the spare was flat (great dad). I was kneeling in the front seat looking out the back window. All of a sudden, a car came down the shoulder right at us, flying, my dad was waving him away, he must have thought we were in the lane, and at the last minute, veered off so close that we fell off the jack, we were in a white 1955 Fleetwood (see this story is Cadillac related). Freaked out, we got out and walked to the next exit and it was a little town called Eddy, Texas, not far from Waco, because I remember we bought 4 tires in Waco the next day.... That is my memory of Waco and Eddy.

Hey Mike WD-40 won’t cause any problems with an ignition switch or most any electro-mechanical applications for that matter. Trust me, I (we’ve) used good old WD-40 in some mil spec situations that were a whole lot more complicated and stressed than any ignition switch.

I’m curious..what type of damage do you think it may cause?

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

the reason I tried the WD40 without alot of worries was most of the elect is in the ignition switch and not the actual lock cyl and the cyl was $40 at the dealer. bottom line was it worked and never would have thought of it. Thanx to that post I read this morning.....where ever it was :blink:

you guys are great!!

WD-40 wont’ hurt electronics, high or low voltage! Haven’t any of you guys ever used the “WD” (water displacement) part of it to clear a distributor cap (@~50,000 volts) of water after a blast with the “quarter douche”?

I’ve sprayed electronics with WD-40 that went on to see 10,000 volts, At -65 degrees C, 75,000 feet altitude..

No problems.. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I have no problems spraying it into a standard ignition switch and have done so in the past.

However I am nervous spraying anything into my Caddy ignition switches. You would be surprised how effective it is to repetitively spray the key and insert the key in and out of the lock, it frees everything out without flooding it IMHO...

I believe that I read someplace NOT to overdo spraying anything in these switches. My fear may be unfounded and the practice is not problem, but I just have been cautious about the practice and tend to approach cleaning the contacts with a minimalist approach rather than a utilize a sledge hammer approach.

But as you know, my belt and suspenders approach to things has been accented here before... :lol:

Archived