CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mailbag: crankshaft sensor

Good morning my name is Mel I have a 2015 SRX and the check engine oil light came on and then immediately after that the shut engine off light came on and it only has 76,000 miles on it. Cadillac dealership said that the crankshaft sensor was bad on the new motor why would my motor lose oil pressure and throw a rod. Please advise. Thanks Mel

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Mel -- I find your post a bit hard to follow.  I apologize in advance if I am misunderstanding.  I think your 2015 SRX lost oil pressure and threw a rod, basically destroying the engine.

The dealer told you it was due to a crankshaft sensor.  That can go wrong, but will not normally destroy the engine in doing so; it normally fails safe.

Did the dealer mention a timing chain issue?

Unfortunately, at this point finding out exactly what caused the engine to fail would require a thorough tear down and diagnosis.  Assuming it is out of warranty, the answer is likely the same regardless -- you have to decide whether to replace the engine at your expense or to write off the SRX.  

If your powertrain warranty is still in effect (6 years, 70,000 miles) I would ask the dealer to evaluate if this failure is covered under warranty.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube