CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

BOSE SPEAKERS

My front pass. door speaker was shot in my 95, with the Bose system a few years ago.

I had a friend with a tired old buick, that had the Bose system in it. I pulled the speaker out of it, it bolted right in, and the sound was crystal clear again.

Now I see you have the next gen. Seville, so I don't know if that that more advanced system would be that type of interchangability.

I'm sure it can be easilly done though

We'll see what other have to say...

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

My passenger door speaker is blown in my 1999 STS and the dealer gave me a price of just under $100.00 (like $97 or something). Call your local caddy dealer and get the part number, then plug it into gmpartsdirect.com. Should be around half the cost or maybe a little more.

Post back if you change it, how you got the door panel off.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Hey guys, just FYI none of us have Bose speakers. Even though we may have the premium Bose sound in our Caddy's it does not mean that we have Bose speakers. All of us have the cheap original manufacture speakers, so if you have one blown, it is best to replace it with the real good one's. Any Car Stereo installation store should provide you with many good choices.

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

I could be wrong, but I was told that the second gen Bose system (98 and up) has an amp for each speaker and the speaker specs need to match. Before the speaker blew, my stereo sounded pretty darn good too.

"If it aint broke, don't fix it" I'm going back with the stock setup.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

I am sure that there is no stock Bose speaker, just the regular cheap one. That's why it got blown by the powerful amp. You can check that by pulling out your speaker. I bet that you will not find Bose written anywhere. If my go bad, I'll get the real Bose or Infinity speakers that match car specs.

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

I could be wrong, but I was told that the second gen Bose system (98 and up) has an amp for each speaker and the speaker specs need to match.  Before the speaker blew, my stereo sounded pretty darn good too. 

"If it aint broke, don't fix it"  I'm going back with the stock setup.

Sort of; all the speakers are driven by one multi-channel amplifier located behind the rear seat for '98.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Hey guys, just FYI none of us have Bose speakers. Even though we may have the premium Bose sound in our Caddy's it does not mean that we have Bose speakers. All of us have the cheap original manufacture speakers, so if you have one blown, it is best to replace it with the real good one's...

Would this mean that a Bose upgrade is just a matter of replacing the head unit?

If you want to upgrade, you may want to get the whole new unit. I for example have the stock CD/Tape unit. The unit itself is a Bose Gold Series one, but the speakers are the basic, like any other stock speakers.

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

I don't have the specs, but the best bet is to get more powerful speakers so that your amp will not blow it. Just get the right size so it can fit your door. I don't think we have more than 100W amp strait from the factory. The good store should be able to give you a good advice.

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

The speakers are definitely Bose, at least in my 1999 STS. I took my problem speaker out today, it has a Bose sticker on the back and is stamped with Bose on the magnet. I will post a pick later.

Also, I found a service bulliten on AllData for the problem I'm having (itermittent muffled sound from door speaker left or right). It's a known problem with voice coils not aligning right intermittently. There is an upgraded speaker (part number 25717924) and its availble from GMpartsdirect for $74 and change shipped. I'll be ordering mine soon.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Bose speakers are defenately different, I just replaced my speakers today, and noticed that the sound from new after market speaker is much lower than that of boss.

I Immediately checked the impedance (resistance) Boss speakers resistance were 0.8 OHMS while any after market speaker would be 4 OHMS.

Please Buy original ones or ones with 0.8 OHMS.

Just to clarify, I am taking about front speakers in 1998 STS the resistance ob the bose speakers for the STS is ODD(0.8 OHMS and not 8.0 OHMS), which will eventually force the owners to buy the OEM speakers.

Archived