CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CV joints?

MIke D

Looks like my left cv joint is finally winning the battle. If I turn the wheel to the right and either step on the brakes hard or if I am just slowly pulling into a parkling lot that has an incline (ie side walk). I hear a clicking sound. Forward only...

So has anyone done this themselves? Do you remember how much it cost for the part. I have limited tools but more so limited money.. So I dont know how long I can let this last...

Any help and advice would be great... Thanks MD

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

I've done it before years back on my Riv.....would I do it again ?? No way... sorry, but maybe someone here will give you some hope

Mike I have done it a few times, but you are going to need a few tools, the first of which would be a ball joint separator. I prefer a ball joint separator over a fork as the fork tends to damage the ball joint grease seal.. Then you will need a large socket and 18 inch breaker bar to remove the large nut on the axle spindle, and hopefully you won't have any trouble breaking that nut, I never have BUT, see this thread OynxSTS's dealer had trouble removing the nuts http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...=15entry41529 You will also need a torque wrench. You have to be careful not to hyper extend the inner joint on the new axle you could dislodge it and cause problems. If you are going to do this job I can send you the info from the manual.

If I were you I would purchase a rebuilt axle, my guess is about $125 and have a mechanic put it in. For a mechanic it normally is a quick job, he has the lift, tools, etc. I can't image this job being more than a 30 to 45 minute job to do. Your other option is scrap yards to see if you can pick up a used axle, but that may be more trouble than its worth and you risk getting the wrong one or it being worn out, I would go the rebuilt axle route. Mike

The part is only about $65-70 from your local autozone. I have a friend who works for an axle shop and he got me mine for about $35. I have the the ones from autozone in the past though and have never had a problem

Thanks for the input. I just got off the phone with Pep Boys. The cv's are $69 each, $140 for labor and $60 for an alignment. Parts labor and tax comes to $365. I am just going to let them do it because I dont have the tools or the time to do it myself. Thanks for the time and effort of replying to my question. I'll update when its done. Mike D

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Thanks for the input. I just got off the phone with Pep Boys. The cv's are $69 each, $140 for labor and $60 for an alignment. Parts labor and tax comes to $365. I am just going to let them do it because I dont have the tools or the time to do it myself. Thanks for the time and effort of replying to my question. I'll update when its done. Mike D

The alignment is NOT necessary. If you are getting it for because you need it, OK, but if its because you are putting in axles, that is not cause for an alignment. IN ADDITION, I would avoid, Pep Boys, IMHO, Mike

Scotty... thanks for the info... Unfortunatly I am new to houston and dont know any other place to go. There are many maw and paw type places to get the car fixed however I dont know anyone around here to ask... It's funny because there are 20 people living in this house but we all commute in for work. No one actually has lived here for more than 6 months..

I will tell them no alignment is necessary... I could use the money in my poket... Again thanks for the help. MD

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Scotty... thanks for the info...  Unfortunatly I am new to houston and dont know any other place to go.  There are many maw and paw type places to get the car fixed however I dont know anyone around here to ask... It's funny because there are 20 people living in this house but we all commute in for work. No one actually has lived here for more than 6 months..

I will tell them no alignment is necessary... I could use the money in my poket... Again thanks for the help. MD

This is an easy job. Watch out for Pep Boys they are famous for cross selling, panicing people, charging for stupid crap like wheel studs and wheel nuts "because they were damaged", and darn if they weren't when you look! :blink: I would not have them work on my car if it was the last garage in the Quadrant. ;) But that's me maybe there are people that look forward to going to Pep Boys, who knows. All they are worthy of is taking my waste oil... Get the picture? You are driving a Cadillac, son..... Pep Boys is for the Japanese burners.. :lol:

Listen they are not much better but a Goodyear or Firestone shop would be better in my opinion than Pep Boys. Oh , don't let anyone sell you on flushing the tranny, steering, cooling system, etc.. Its becoming a popular service, but its not advised because they can deposit debris from a prior customer. I can envision the customer in front of you coming in with a slipping transmission, who the shop talked into 'flushing' out their tranny 'because we have seen this before and it helps' <so what if it doesn't, we tried!> and that persons clutch material is deposited into your tranny. :angry:

This is a big revenue producer for them, when you are ready to flush the fluids search the archives or post a question.

Pep Boys lost money on me the last time I was there. I bought a set of their tires on sale for $25 each and had them mount them. The mounting was free but they wanted to charge $10 each tire for balancing and installing new stems. I told the cashier to just to mount the tires and skip the balancing and new stems. I paid for the tires ($100 + tax), came back an hour later and drove off with the new tires installed. The first thing I noticed driving down the freeway was how balanced these new tires felt. Got home and found out that they had balanced the tires and also replaced the stems. :)

IPB Image

Archived